********

“Well? What's it like? What's the food like? How's your room? Do you have a nice view? Show me everything!”

“Okay– Wow. Do you mind slowing down a little? I basically just got to my hotel room.”

E-very-thing. Cole laughed as Kai moved the phone so close to his face, only his eyes and nose were visible on the ridiculously small screen.

“All right, all right, calm down! I'll give you a tour.”

“Awesome. You got any food yet?”

“What? You're worried I'd leave you for the chefs here?”

Kai shook his head with a frozen smile. “Well, I wasn't until you said that.”

“Kai,” Cole sighed, “I had something I guess I could only describe as a plate full of cheese and it was the best thing in the world. I think I saw god.”

“Wow. No way. The cheese falls in love with cheese. Who would've guessed,” Kai deadpanned.

Cole rolled his eyes but he couldn't stop smiling. As per usual. It was admirable how well his facial muscles dealt with the amount of smiling he did around Kai. “Shut up.”

“I would say ‘make me’ but you're kilometres away and can't. Now you have to suffer from hearing my voice with no way of escape. Welcome to hell, I'm Kai, I'll be your tormenter here today.”

He had to laugh. Suffer. Yeah, as if listening to their voice could ever be anything but compelling.

Cole looked around the room, the majority of the things still left untouched, left in the perfectly neat state in which they were waiting for him. One could barely tell there was someone except for the wrinkled sheets and a suitcase laid just by foot of the bed. “Okay, what do you wanna see first?”

“Oh, I know! Go to the door, turn to the room and put the phone in front of your face but so we don't stare at each other – but we could do that later too.”

“Sounds like a plan.” He got into position, left to stare at the boring back of his phone. The Kai-less back of his phone. Oh no, maybe this wasn't such a good idea. What was he thinking? He just got used to spend almost every waking moment of his life in contact with Kai and now he's supposed to be so far away and able to contact him only during some free time?

Where exactly does the border between “I love spending time with you” and being unhealthily clingy lay? Hopefully still far enough. As far as they are now. For two weeks.

All right, Cole, back it up now.

“Is this good?”

“You're perfect.” Does Kai realise the extent of the power of their words? “Wow, this place looks cosy.”

“I think it's more of a lodge than a fancy-schmancy hotel like I thought. Feels like a hug in here.”

“I can imagine. Okay, I'm guessing the door to your left is the bathroom?”

“Yep, that's right.”

“Take me there.” Cole was about to make a step when Kai yelled at him from the phone again, “No, wait! Forward, forward, for–”

“Yeah, I didn't sign up to be a videogame character.”

“Heyy, you're ruining my fun!”

“I'm so terribly sorry, it will happen again.”

He could hear him huff, imagine what the expression on his face looked at the moment.

“Holy shit. That certainly is a bathroom.”

“It looks so small from the outside too.”

“Cole, baby, I have an important thing to ask you.”

Turning the screen back towards himself, Cole replied a simple, “Yeah?”

“Raid the soaps.”

“Will do.”

“Oh! And if you'll have those swedish-buffet tables for breakfast, can you steal some of the cute little honey for me? It tastes like shit but I have to have it.”

“You know you can just buy it, right? It's not an exclusive thing?”

“Why would I buy something that tastes like shit?”

“Why would you want to steal it?”

“Because crime tastes the sweetest, Cole, obviously.”

“I'm not liking the alibi you've got but I'll do my best, okay?”

“You're amazing. Now turn me around again and show me that bed!”