.*

“Ah, mister large black coffee to go, what can I do for you?”

It made Cole smile even more than he already was, the money already ready in his hand.

“You know it, the uzhe.”

Cole noticed how Kai looked him up and down, stopping with his eyes at the spot that was usually occupied with his bag.

“You're free today?” they asked, meeting his eyes again.

“Jealous?” Their smirk mirrored his own. But when Kai got his coffee, he didn't hand it to Cole. Instead, they tapped the redhead – Sky, he called her – and said, “Hey, could you take care of this for a sec?” Sky didn't seem too happy with them, but huffed, blowing some hair strands out of her face, and took care of the next customer anyway.

Kai led him off to the side, finally handing him the cup and leaning in.

“Hey, how about this,” they said, his voice lowered. "I'm done here by 12 o'clock... What if you meet me here and I show you the park? We could get some lunch too. You have to see the park." Cole chuckled at the way they were so adamant about him seeing more of the city. Yet he found himself nodding anyway. So what, it was either this or being stuck in his personal studio for hours on end again.

Maybe it was time to get out of his shell again.

“Why not? But this time, I'm paying.”

“That's not–”

“Ah, ah, ah. You're not talking me out of this one, Kai. It's either this or I'm never seeing the park.” He had to laugh at their sour expression. It was so similar to the one Sky gave him just mere moments ago. “See you at twelve!” he said, walking away. Before he turned his head fully around, he saw how Kai shook his head and got back to work, not missing the small smile on their lips.