**.*.*.***-

“Cole~”

As much as nice the sound was, the nothingness of sleep was much nicer.

“Rise and shine, sleepyhead, I've got something to show you.”

“Can it wait?”

“Unfortunately, no.”

Cole groaned and buried his face into a pillow, only for a hand to turn his head back away. How rude.

“Come on, show me those beautiful eyes of yours.”

It was… Surprisingly dark in the room.

“What time is it?”

“Just a little around four in the morning.” Not even Kai's grin was much of a comfort right then.

“Are you kidding?”

“Nope. Come watch the sunrise with me! We can go back to sleep then. Please, I want you to see this.”

Cole sighed, favouring his spot in the bed, but allowing Kai to pull him up regardless. He rubbed his eyes, putting most of his strength into the hand Kai was holding so they won't get separated.

“Wait, we're going outside?” he asked when they passed the window where he imagined they would just settle down.

Kai, however, seemed to have a different idea in mind. “Yeah, to the roof!”

He led him outside of the flat and up the several flights of stairs – which they climbed with a ridiculous amount of energy given the fact that it was basically still midnight for Cole.

“What the hell possessed you?”

Kai grinned at him over his shoulder. “Love!” And Cole had to laugh despite all the unpleasant circumstances.

“I hate you.”

“Nonsense, my dear, you speak to me very differently at night.”

“That's because I'm not half-asleep and climbing the stairs, ever thought of that?”

“We're almost there, don't worry.” To be fair, Cole barely focused on the exhausting journey since the words ‘my dear’ left Kai's mouth. Sure, it was said in a joking matter but still, even then, being called their and dear made Cole's heart flatter with something that definitely had nothing to do with the early physical activity. It was still hard to believe – he was actually in a relationship with Kai. They were officially boyfriends. Kai likes him back.

What in the world? How did he deserve all this? What did he do to deserve just his attention? Him. Kai. The embodiment of a perfect human no matter what anyone says.

Kai thinks his eyes are beautiful.

The feelings were so fresh, so new, and Cole was sure he never felt loved like this – and yet, they somehow felt as if they had always been there. As if his entire existence began and ended with Kai's loving gazes.

It took a lot of oxygen but Kai was right, and they were soon walking out into the chill air, still protected from the sun's incoming heat, which Cole definitely welcomed at such a time. The horizon was light blue already and it was clear that the sun was soon to be seen. Kai led him to the wall at the edge of the roof and leaned against it, propping his head with his hands. Cole copied his actions, his eyelids still too heavy despite the refreshing air. Maybe if there was more breeze…

“I wouldn't wake you up normally but since you have a day off and I start at noon, I thought it could be nice.”

“Not that I don't appreciate it…” Cole yawned. “But I'm so tired.”

“I get it.” Kai put an arm over his shoulders and allowed Cole to put his head on their. “I just really wanted you to see this. Gotta make something out of waking up too early, right?”

Cole hummed, really trying to keep his eyes opened.

“You know, the first few nights when I moved here, I couldn't sleep, so I spent a lot of time here,” Kai told him as they waited for the first sun rays to come through. “Some neighbour had a little garden here, so I took care of that to busy myself. But I spent most of the time just watching the stars, even though it's nothing like it used to be at home. And then it was sunrise again and I was confused how I managed to stay awake all night… I mean, besides the fact that I barely slept, it was nice.” Kai sighed, their shoulders making his head rise and fall as well. “Again, nothing like back home but it's beautiful in its own way, you know? I think at least the little familiarity kept me sane. This city is wonderful but… also too much. Especially when you're used to the countryside and suburbs.”

“Remember the sunset at Mantray's?” Cole murmured.

Kai softly chuckled. “I'll never forget that one.”

“I don't think I'd get used to this city so fast if it wasn't for you.” Kai put their head on his, rubbed his shoulder.

“We're not supposed to say this to people but you're my favourite customer. Just wanted you to know…”

“Ooh, what a coincidence,” Cole hummed, “you just happen to be my favourite barista.”

“Yeah, get in the line, you're not the first one to tell me that. Everybody loves me.”

“Humble.”

“I am. Very. The most.”

Cole huffed in amusement. The first ray of sunshine shot across the sky and soon more were to follow. The sky and the few clouds slowly changed colours as the sun came into view. Some more time and the city was getting bathed in gold once again, windows were brought to life again, cars were driving down through the streets, more and more people were leaving their homes. Another day officially began and Cole's head was still settled comfortably on Kai's shoulder.