.*.*.*

The second time Cole wakes up, the room is filled with sunlight, the other half of the bed is empty, and the air is filled with the smell of what probably would be a great breakfast.

But as Cole lay there, blinking, waiting for his mind to get rid of the fog, he realised he wasn't hungry. Nor that he was going to stay for breakfast.

Or lunch, honestly, it could be lunch, who knows what time it was.

He sat up on the edge of the bed, put his pants back on and fixed his shirt, then walked out of the bedroom, getting spotted by Kai right away.

"Morning, Cols," they greeted, turning away from the sizzling pan. "Fancy some eggs? I didn't have much food in my fridge."

"Uh... no. No, thanks..." He didn't pay him much attention as he looked around for his phoney which he couldn't remember where he put it. The middle of the night was kind of a blur to him.

"Your phone's here on the table, if you're wondering." At least Kai can apparently read minds. "But I'm afraid the only other thing I have here is a white yoghurt... and I'm not sure if that's still good."

Cole tucked the phone in his pocket and hesitated. "You know... I actually need to go home."

"Because of work?" Kai put a plate on the table and Cole found himself suddenly unable to keep eye contact. Or look at him at all.

"Uh... Not really."

Their silence was broken by the sizzling, which Cole was grateful for because complete quiet would probably make him feel even worse. Especially when Kai leaned a little forward over the table and he stepped away.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just gotta go."

"Can't you stay at least for a coffee? I could probably find a thermos..."

"It's fine, I'm good, really, don't worry."

"I mean, you must be starving..."

"Kai." Cole tried not to snap but his voice still came out tense which caught Kai's attention. "It's good. Don't worry. I'll just go." And he did, he went for the door but they didn't leave him alone.

"Is this about those articles?" he said from behind him and Cole stopped in his tracks. "You know that's just the gutter press, right? The ones that never got their heads out of their gutters?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"I bet the good journalists are raving about you and the show right now. I mean, it was a big sensation, those just focus on gossip, you can't take them seriously."

"Just leave it, all right?" he finally snapped and when Kai shut up, he opened the door. "Bye." And left.