.*.**-

"Hey."

"Hi."

Kai tapped the cash register and stared at Cole, who raised his eyebrows.

"What?"

"Your order?" they said, making Cole raise his eyebrows even higher. He glanced around, noticing Skylor glance their way as well but none of that helped him figure out Kai's intent.

"Don't you remember...?" Should he be afraid?

"Oh, I don't know," Kai sighed, trying to seem as nonchalant as possible while he leaned back, still holding onto the cash register. "I've got a goldfish memory, I'm afraid you'll have to remind me."

Cole hummed, his lips twitching with amusement.

"Large black coffee to go, pretty please," he said, handing him the money.

"Pretty please indeed," Kai replied and Cole raised his eyebrows for the third time that morning. "I meant... your order will be ready soon..." As if on cue, Skylor came with a cup of coffee, making Cole feel even more ridiculous. "Or now. Your order's ready now."

"Uh-huh."

They would've stared at each other probably for a long, long time, had it not been for Skylor and the fact that they weren't the only ones in the coffee shop.

"You guys done?"

"Yeah."

"Yup."

And they all went their separate ways to do their separate things, leaving Cole wondering for the majority of the day whether he should feel embarrassed, amused, or bad.