.*.*.*.-

Cole sat at his desk, just staring. Lunch break was supposed to be soon but he was thinking about skipping it since his sheets were mostly empty. The few ideas he had were quickly, and literally, thrown off the table, leaving him to helplessly stare at the papers, as if something would happen itself. Which, of course, didn't.

And so, he was left to compete in a staring contest.

Until his phone buzzed and he jumped for the distraction like a fish for the bait.

kai ❤️‍🔥
today, 12:27

heyy!! are u free for lunch?

yeah
why?

and ur breaks supposed to start soon right?

also yeah
also why?
read, 12:28

Cole frowned at the screen when his intercom dinged, refocusing his attention. He walked over to hear,

"Mr Brookstone, you have a visitor at the reception."

He held back a sigh. "Okay, thanks." It appears his staring contest will have to go through a small intermission after all. Maybe it was for the better, he was feeling hungry anyway and he gets to spend time with Kai, what more could a man want?

He walked up to the certain brunet from behind but his element of surprise was stolen, for Kai simply tilted his head back, leaning it against the backrest. Cole supported himself with his arms, each by one side of his head, clutching the couch.

"Hey, dear," they mused and Cole couldn't stop smiling.

"As much as it's lovely to see you, you know you could've just... texted me that you're here? Because you were already texting me?"

"Yeah, but this was more fun."

Cole hummed and let go of the couch to walk around it, to stand in front of Kai.

"You wanna go somewhere? I didn't pack any lunch, so..."

"Actually," Kai stretched, swaying his knee to the side. "There was a terrible accident in my kitchen and I ended up with two portions of chicken biryani and I need help getting rid of it." He cocked his head to the side. "Will you help me save the world, Cole?"

He chuckled. "It will be my honour." Kai accepted his hand and Cole pulled him up to stand. After gathering his backpack, Cole led the way back to where he came from.

"Let's go to my studio, that's where I eat most of the time anyway."

"Ooh, I'll get to see were the magic happens!"

"Yeah... magic..."

"What?"

"Nothing, I just feel uninspired today."

Kai hummed. "Maybe some good food could fix that. Or, you know, me." He winked at him. "I can be pretty inspiring."

"Sure. You can also be pretty dramatic."

"There's nothing dramatic about saving the world from excessive amount of chicken biryani, that's tragic. Imagine if the world ended, what do you wanna do then?"

Seeing their completely serious expression, Cole couldn't help but burst out laughing. He held onto Kai's shoulder.

"If the world ended, I would really miss you."

"Then let's make sure that won't happen, hm?"

If he had to eat Kai's food for the rest of his life, Cole couldn't probably ever complain. Kai never failed to make him feel wonderful in so many different ways and the more time he spent laughing alongside them, the more Cole wondered how lucky he was.

And he felt like the luckiest person in the world even as he watched Kai sit slumped in an armchair in the corner of the room, entranced by his phone screen.

The only thing that managed to ruin his great mood were the blank papers waiting on his desk. Sure, it wasn't unusual, he often found himself having a hard time to come up with something after finishing a difficult and time-consuming project but it never failed to break his spirit.

He glanced at Kai, then looked out the glass door as if inspiration would come in by itself. Instead, just one of his colleagues passed with a bunch of red leather fabric in their arms. And suddenly Cole found himself working on something that had nothing to do with his job at all.