*.*.*.**

Trying to scratch the burning batter off the pan, Cole grunted. He was the kind of person that could keep their cool but the pan and the pancake batter were really pushing him to his limits. This was supposed to be effortless, how come it was impossible to get a good pancake? He made omelettes before and it wasn't hard, what was he doing wrong?

"Come on, this is ridiculous." Sighing, he dropped the flipper aside and buried his face into his hands.

"Sorry, did you decide to burn my kitchen down? Did it say something mean to you? Because I can respect revenge."

Cole peeked at him through his fingers. "Kai- No, you were supposed to be asleep."

"Yeah, kind of a hard thing to do when somebody is demolishing my house." He sighed, dropping his arms, refusing to look at him again.

"I thought I'd surprise you with a breakfast but um... The food is against me." He felt when Kai walked over because they just had to stand close. His arm came into view when Kai dipped a finger into the bowl and licked off a little of the batter.

"Did you put sugar into this?"

"Just a little, I thought it was a bit off... Why?"

"Let me just say that sugar can be a little bitch when it comes to the frying pan. Let me, I could probably salvage some of this."

"No, it was supposed to be my gift for you."

Kai did eventually manage to get Cole out of the kitchen to let him try doing some magic but he wasn't the happiest about it. It was to the point he simply sat on the couch, propping his head up by his hand and staring ahead, trying to ignore all the sounds coming from the kitchen. He huffed, blowing some hair out of his face, when Kai walked in, two plates in their hands. Of course he accepted it when Kai handed one of them to him but he still felt sour about the whole fiasco.

"They didn't mention anything in the recipe," he muttered, putting some of the mess into his mouth.

"Come on, lighten up." Kai gently nudged him. "It's edible, that's the important part. And we've got enough whipped cream to hide the burnt parts." He kept nudging him with his elbow, bumping their shoulders together until Cole finally cracked up a smile which he then tried to hide. "There we go, you still got it."

"I'm a walking disaster."

"Maybe... but a cute one, so you're forgiven."

Cole chuckled, glanced at them, glanced at the plate in his lap, then turned back to Kai and kissed him, unable to contain a smile when Kai chuckled into the kiss.

"You're supposed to eat the pan... things, not my lips."

"Yeah, but your lips are more appealing." Kai laughed again and Cole was convinced there wasn't anything more perfect in the whole universe. He just wasn't sure how to tell it to Kai without feeling like a complete idiot. He could spend an entire day just sitting this close to them, watching them simply exist, stealing occasional kisses here and there. "Do you wanna go out with me later?" It just slipped out. One of Kai's powers, probably.

"Oh my god, are you asking me out on a date?"

He rolled his eyes. Curiously, there was no need for an answer to come. "Shut up."

"Make me." Cole chuckled before stuffing some of the messed-up pancakes into his mouth. "Affhole."

"No, no, we do not speak with a full mouth." Soon, Kai looked almost like a hamster as Cole kept feeding him.