Chapter 3 (Tigris)

"The ambassador to Irulia will arrive within a fortnight." King Romulus said. He sat at the head of a long, narrow rectangular table. In the seat closest to him, Tigris listened patiently, much to the disdain of the King's advisors.

"The guest rooms have been prepared, sire. Irulia's elders demand reduced tariffs on imports." Tigris replied, scanning the parchment she'd been given before the conference. She lifted her gaze, her heart jumping with brief panic as she met her father's stern eyes. Still, she kept her voice steady. "They say that it was unjustly increased."

The King's jaw clenched. "I fear Irulia is asking too much. The tariffs were negotiated during the last summit. They agreed to the proposed increase."

"That was before they were struck by a series of droughts and storms. They cannot meet the quotas set during the summit." a male across the table from Tigris explained. Her brother, Aodh, fiddled with his long, jeweled sword, rivalled only by the similarly made blade on Tigris' hip. Aodh had always been a good guard and advisor. He was the ruler that the Faultless City yearned to inherit after their father's death. Tigris could see his features in the reflection of his metal blade; a sharp, pale jaw with brown stubble. His cropped brown hair highlighted his piercing blue eyes. Their father's eyes.

King Romulus stroked his chin. "That is an excuse. Irulia has long envied our lands on the southwestern border. This tariff nonsense could be an excuse to go to war. They were close to annexing those lands during the last war, they might believe that they could win if another battle would occur."

"That would undermine the kingdom's security. We would be open to attacks from the western Shultians and the Tselts. If all three were to ally-'' one advisor began, but was interrupted by Romulus raising a hand. Tigris' father stared into empty space.

"Then it would indeed be a difficult battle for us," he mused. "We mustn't let that happen. When the ambassador arrives, it must be made clear that the import and export quotas must be met, and that there will be no change to the taxes."

"Father," Tigris argued, "Isn't that a bit much?"

Romulus' gaze flattened with fury. "Are you questioning my judgement, Tigris?"

Tigris lowered her gaze, feeling her cheeks burn as all the advisors' gazes swung towards her. "No, my lord." Tigris replied slowly, "But I wish to remind you that the Irulians cannot fabricate the weather reports we've received. The storms and droughts have occurred, and reports suggest that their people are starving. The Faultless Kingdom is having a bountiful season. Perhaps we could reduce the taxes for a season-"

"And risk them sticking to the reduced tariffs?" another advisor, with long blonde hair and many battle scars criss crossing his neck, sniffed. "The Irulians cannot be trusted."

Across the table, Aodh drew his sword with a metallic screech. "Is that any way to address the Princess?"

"Enough!" Romulus snapped, rising to his feet. "Tigris, that was a foolish idea. Lord Theos is correct. We cannot risk leniency. The Irulians agreed to the tariffs. They must go forth. The Faultless Kingdom is prepared to go to battle if this deems a war necessary. Session adjourned!"

Tigris rose from her seat and curtsied respectfully even as anger stewed within her. She could see the fleeing advisors stifling smiles behind their hands as they left, murmuring to each other. Tigris clenched her fists. They would never take her seriously. She turned to leave when a hand landed on her shoulder.

"What is it, Aodh?" Tigris asked her brother. Aodh smirked, ruffling her hair.

"Aww, are you upset about not getting your way?" he teased, ruffling her hair. Tigris dodged, punching him in the gut hard enough that he rocked back on his feet with an oof. She felt too conflicted to give in to the tease.