Chapter 173 (Roche)

Roche had never felt such potent terror in her life. Her mind raced as she stared up at Circe, the sound of explosions in the distance complimenting the pounding of her heart.

Tigris had seen her use her inkblood.

Oh gods, she was going to burn.

Roche closed her eyes, sucking in a steadying breath. She glanced over her shoulder, realising with a guilty rush of relief that Tigris had truly succumbed to her wounds and fallen unconscious. An ache filled her, a longing to shake Tigris awake and explain herself, to beg for mercy, to chase away the searing accusation and betrayal that had gleamed in her queen's eyes.

Roche's breath came out in a tinny wheeze as she lowered herself beside Tigris, tucking away a strand of her beautiful, pale hair.

Tigris would never trust her again.

Tigris would burn her.

And Roche deserved to burn for all the treachery, all the lies, all the killing and fighting and sins she'd committed. But she'd done it all so Tigris would stay safe.

And she would protect Tigris, even if Tigris hated her for it.

She'd protect her queen, even if it was the last thing she did.

Circe waited for her patiently, hovering in front of the exit, ebony feathers spread wide to block her from the view of anyone that might be on the beach. Roche gathered herself, her eyes prickling.

"Circe, I need your help," she repeated again, her voice much steadier now, "We need a ride."

Circe clicked their beak. "I'm not a horse, Ala."

"I know," Roche's voice frayed, exhaustion wearing on her. Her legs trembled as she rose, standing in front of Tigris, "I wouldn't call on your help if I didn't need to. And I won't reveal you to Finn either. But I don't have the strength left to protect Tigris, I need to save it to heal her. I just need you to take us to the beach. Moriean can take us to safety from there."

Circe's glowing eyes widened. "Ala... surely you don't intend to bring the Fyra and her brood with you. If they see me..."

"I'm sorry, Circe," Roche apologised earnestly, "I know you don't want to be seen by Romulus' children. I won't force you, but you're all I have left right now. Tigris is in danger."

It was so tempting to exercise her powers as a whisper, to make Circe swoop them away to safety. But she didn't have the heart to do that to the Striga.

Circe sighed deeply, their feathers ruffling with their unease. "I will do what I must to protect the Fyra."

Roche smiled. "Thank you, my friend. I won't forget this."

Circe's eyes seemed to dance with mirth. Footsteps pounded behind Roche, and she turned to find Kai and Aodh running back towards her.

"Aodh was fine," Kai told her breathlessly, "We couldn't get the tunnel to clo..." His words trailed off as he spotted Circe, in all their feathery glory.

Aodh was shoving himself forward, his sword lofted. He charged with a bellow.

"Aodh, don't!" Roche tried to warn him, but the prince either didn't hear her or didn't care.

Circe lifted their wings, flapping hard. A gust of wind tunneled into a vortex, slamming into Aodh's burly chest. His sword went flying, clattering against the ground uselessly as he was thrown into the air, smacking into the wall. He gasped, the air rushing out of him.

"Good, you've met," Roche said drily as Aodh scrambled to pick himself up, "Prince Aodh, Kai, meet Circe. Circe, meet my best friend and an idiot."

Circe clicked their beak.