Chapter 179 (Tigris)

Roche crashed against her with a howl of pain. The sound was so chilling that goosebumps rose to Tigris' skin. They both fell to the ground, Roche's weight pinning down Tigris' arm. She struggled to move, stilling when she saw a glimpse of what was ailing the maid.

A snake made of shadows had latched onto the woman's calf, its fangs sinking deeper and deeper. Thick, dark veins spread from the bite zone. When the uskoi pulled back, more venom spilled from its fangs. It reared to take another bite, its eyes latching on Tigris.

Then Harold was there, grabbing the foul creature by the tail and flinging it away from Roche. Brom tugged Roche upright, and Tigris rolled out from under her.

"Stay back!" she ordered the knights, her mind whirring. She couldn't be sure if the knights' swords would work against the creatures of the dead. But from her last battle with Finn, she knew that her sword would be just fine.

The snake drew itself up, and Tigris slashed her blade as it lunged forward to bite. The length of her blade flashed with Roche's carefully placed enchantments as it connected with the uskoi. The snake hissed with agony, its forked tongue flicking with displeasure as it disappeared with a soft pop.

Tigris paused, waiting for another uskoi to come attacking. She lowered her sword when none came, spinning around.

The knights were huddled around Roche. The woman was on the ground, her teeth gritted. A sheen of sweat was beginning to glisten against her brow.

"That thing was venomous," Ivie murmured, laying her cloak around Roche's shoulders. The knight drew her gaze up to Tigris, concern shining bright in her eyes. "We need to get back to Leinos. He might have a cure."

"We won't get back in time," Harold said solemnly, pointing to the dark veins spreading from the bite on Roche's calf.

Brom growled. "Well, we'll have to try. We can't just leave her here."

Ruth placed a hand on the irate knight's shoulder. "He never said that, Brom. But look at Roche. Do you think she's up for a fast paced journey back to the castle? Maybe there's a village nearby with a physician."

Arguments flowed, filling the scorched clearing. Tigris lowered herself to Roche's side, hot searing guilt churning in her gut. The maid's eyes were unfocused, struggling to stay open. And her lips were moving. Tigris leaned closer to listen, but the words were somewhat unfamiliar and hoarse. She didn't understand until a familiar scent filled the air, wild and free.

"Roche," Tigris whispered. The maid's unfocused eyes drifted towards her languidly. She didn't stop chanting quietly, not even when Tigris murmured, "Roche, don't drain your strength."

Ivie stiffened abruptly. "My lady," the knight jumped to her feet, "Something's coming."

The knights had their blades out in an instant. A silhouette filled the sky. Tigris gathered Roche into her arms, wincing as the woman let out a pained moan. She held up her sword as the flying figure blocked out the sun. In the darkness, two orange eyes glowed.

Two familiar eyes.

"Lower your weapons!" Tigris ordered, resheathing her sword. She hefted Roche higher as the knights spun to her with various degrees of alarm.

"My lady!" Harold hissed, his eyes bugging out of his head like she'd lost her mind, "It could be an uskoi."

"It's not!" Tigris snapped, Roche's weight beginning to make her arms burn. She held on tightly, lowering them both to the ground. Her eyes were pinned to the maid's too pale face, to the way her pupils dilated and contracted randomly, struggling to focus, to the shallowness of her breath and the sweat beading on her forehead. Tigris' heart pounded, her chest roiling with a damned helplessness as she leaned closer, ignoring the sound of beating wings approaching.