Chapter 80 (Tigris)

"Again?"

"I'm afraid so, my lady."

Verita watched Tigris throw her arms up in exasperation. Roche hadn't come to awaken her in the morning. It was a good thing that Finn came by early to wake her in time. He stood impassively now, arms crossed and leaning against the doorway with Kai just behind him as Tigris learned that her maid had taken a liking to alcohol.

"I can't believe this." Tigris seethed, "She leaves on the most important day of the tourney to go day drinking?"

Verita hesitated. "And night drinking. She never came home." The librarian's eyes were shadowed.

"Unbelievable!" Tigris snapped again. Her hair was coiled tight in a bun, but it wasn't artful or tight like Roche would have made it. The next match would start soon and she needed to be in armour. She turned to Finn and Kai who watched her with varying degrees of amusement and impassivity. "She could have at least told the steward to send a substitute maid until she returned!"

"Tigris, you never had a maid before Roche. You hate all the substitute maids." Kai pointed out gently. Tigris scowled.

"Yes but... she could have told me!"

Finn cleared his throat. His eyes were pinned on Verita. "Unless she planned to come back but she didn't."

"I wouldn't worry, my lord." Verita was holding Finn's eyes, like there was some lingering meaning to her words, "Roche knows what she's doing."

"Are you certain?" Finn retorted, "Because if she's not here, it's clear that she doesn't."

"I'm sure." Verita replied. Finn pursed his lips and Verita nodded slightly. Tigris found that Roche did not warrant the concern currently flickering in her brother's eyes.

"I agree with Finn, Roche clearly doesn't know what she's doing." Tigris pointed out, "When she returns, she's going to train with Kai to learn what an actually competent servant looks like."

Finn and Kai winced.

"Tigris-" Finn tried to plead for his friend, but Tigris wasn't hearing any of it. Honestly, why on Earth was he still defending her?

"I guess I'll need to put on my own armour." Tigris huffed, feeling a bit petulant. Kai stepped forward shyly.

"I could help. Finn's match doesn't start until later this afternoon." Kai glanced at Finn, "If that's alright with you, of course."

Finn's face warmed infinitesimally. He clapped Kai on the shoulder. "Of course, my friend. Go help Tigris, I need to talk to Verita."

Tigris could tell Finn was still worried about Roche. She nudged him slightly on her way out.

"Don't worry. Roche is just out drinking. You'll see." Tigris assured him.

Finn pressed his lips together in protest, but relented. He gave Tigris a one armed hug before moving to the side so she could exit the library.

"Good luck out there. Maybe you and I will make it to the final." he offered with half a smile. Tigris smirked at him.

"Fight Aodh first, then we'll see."

-------

Kai's fingers were calloused and sure as he laced up her armour. He moved quicker than Roche and he had a certain fluidity to his movements that rivalled Roche's gentleness. Tigris watched as he moved gracefully, grabbing a plate, his fingers already reaching for the leather cords he'd use to tie it.

"Roche has done a great job keeping these polished." Kai noted, crouching to fasten a plate over her legs. Tigris snorted, shifting to give him more room.