Chapter 127 (Roche)

Roche knelt with her nearly dead lady, feeling a rush of deja vu to the moment Medea has lain prone in front of her. She ran a hand, rearranging Tigris' hair to frame her high cheekbones and too pale skin. The antidote was leaden and heavy in Roche's hand, the glass warm against her palm. Across from her, Leinos knelt, his medicine bag open as if he'd been rifling through it. The old physician looked stricken. Roche understood.

You'll never look like this really, Roche promised Tigris silently, a wave of protectiveness washing over her, I won't let you die. I'll fulfil my destiny so you can fulfil yours.

Kai bit his knuckle anxiously in the corner of the room where he stood with Finn, who was buckling on his sword belt and loading his gun.

The door swung open. The king poured in through the doorway, his eyes frantic and wide. He was flanked by Aodh and a guard. No sign of Lady Lisa. Aodh met Roche's eyes with a curt nod. He'd waited until the inkblood was gone to tell his father the news.

"What happened?" Romulus gasped, his blue eyes scanning the room. His eyes latched onto the too still form of his daughter. Instantly, he froze in place, all of the energy visibly draining from his body.

"I'm sorry, sire," Leinos said softly, his voice impressively choked. Roche had a feeling that the emotion wasn't entirely fake. After all, Leinos has practically raised Tigris as well. Seeing her like this must be unbearable.

Leinos watched the king stumble closer before falling to his knees beside Roche. His features were filled with shock.

"I did everything I could but... it was too late. She came into Prince Finn's room and just collapsed." Leinos continued gently.

The king reached out with a shaking hand, tracing Tigris' skin. Roche knew it was ice cold.

"How... how..." the king's chest heaved. He bowed his head. Roche felt the air shift then, a buffer in the enchantment pouring off him in waves, like a break in the tide. She glanced up at Leinos, nodding discreetly.

It was working. They were breaking through.

The king's shoulders shuddered. The enchantment rolled out of him, manifesting in his eyes as ebony tears that streamed down his cheeks.

"She died... thinking I betrayed her," he whispered, his voice hoarse with horror, Aodh knelt beside their father, his face stony and accusing.

"You disinherited her," he said flatly, his eyes as cold and unyielding as the king's had been earlier that day, "You told her she would disgrace you."

"I... I..." the king trailed off helplessly, his hands splayed in front of him, "I didn't mean it!"

"Then why did you say it?" Finn growled from the shadows. The king's sons glared at their monarch as he stammered, his eyes gleaming with pain. Roche kept silent, watching the speechless king. The enchantment was nearly done now.

Footsteps echoed in the hall. Aodh scrambled to his feet, drawing his sword as three figures stormed into the room, ignoring the shouting guards outside.

"Romulus!" Lisa cried, her eyes wide and frantic. Her gaze landed on Roche, realisation dawning on her as she spotted Tigris' body. Aodh stood, unsheathing his sword and holding it at ready.

"Not another step," he ordered loudly, quickly followed by Finn pulling out his gun. Lisa's steps stumbled for an instant. She glanced at her two backup dancer goons for a moment, thoughts exchanging between them.

Just leave now, Roche transmitted to them, And you will leave with your lives.

Her stomach dropped when Lisa's eyes hardened. She straightened, pinning Roche with a glare.