Chapter 139 (Roche)

"That is disgusting," Aodh whined, turning his face away from the princess and Kai entangled in one another's arms. Roche smirked at him, thrusting a sword into his arms.

"Get used to it, my lord. And be happy. They both deserve each other." Roche told him, staring wistfully at the couple beneath Medea's tree. It felt almost ironic. Roche's first love and her second were in one place.

She felt a gentle ache within her as she watched Tigris soften in Kai's arms, her face flush with pleasure. She turned away, smiling against the pain building within her. After everything they'd been through, Tigris deserved someone that made her happy.

She was glad that Tigris had someone to love, even if it wasn't her.

The thought made the subtle ache in her chest fade. She sat down, rubbing the root of Medea's tree with one hand before returning to the tedious task of polishing Tigris' sword. She'd been up all night enchanting all of the swords to work against the zombies, especially Tigris' sword. She wasn't sure if it would do much against the inkblood driven undead, but hopefully they would offer some protection.

She stayed there, beneath Medea's tree for several long moments. Tigris' sword laid on her lap as Roche leaned her head back. The grove was busy with life, but somehow it retained its peaceful aura. Roche sighed, running her hands down the length of the bark.

"Roche?"

A shadow fell over her. She looked up to find Tigris standing there, face flushed and hands on her hips. Roche sprang up, her back scraping against the rough bark of Medea's tree.

"Princess!" she exclaimed, a knowing expression making its way onto her face. She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively, feeling nothing but glee. "I see you and Kai have had some fun!"

"Roche!" Tigris hissed, smacking the back of Roche's head, "Just give me my sword, we have to leave!"

Roche's mirth faded. She didn't want to leave the serene grove, but Tigris' destiny awaited. And for Tigris, she'd do anything.

She held out the sword obediently. Tigris checked the grip, rolling her wrist experimentally. She nodded in satisfaction, sheathing it after a moment.

"You know," Tigris murmured as Roche moved to braid her lady's hair, "Kai and I talked a bit-"

"Quite a lot of talking," Roche muttered, tugging Tigris' braid a bit harder than she should have, "And as his best friend, I'm obligated to tell you that if you break his heart, I will break your sword."

"As if you could," Tigris fired back instantly, grunting when Roche pulled the braid tight, "But as I was saying, we discussed how Finn could have betrayed us so thoroughly. It got me thinking about who I could trust."

Roche felt her heart sink. She stepped around to face Tigris, tucking a few stray strands away. "You shouldn't think about those things now," Roche told her, "Look around. Everyone here has no reason to betray you, they could have simply pledged their loyalty to Finn. But they're here for you, Tigris."

"I know," Tigris said simply, waiting for Roche to meet her eyes. There was steel in her gaze, an assured kind of calm and wisdom that made Roche's breath hitch. "Kai said as much. More importantly, he told me that you were far too loyal to ever betray me."

Roche swallowed reflexively. Would the princess say the same if she knew what ran through Roche's veins?

"I agreed, of course," Tigris said easily, oblivious to the way Roche was suddenly having trouble breathing, "Mostly because I know you're too stupid to ever try treason."

Roche made a noncommittal sound, trying to loosen the sudden tightness of her throat. Tigris' gaze drifted towards the other end of the grove where Aodh was currently talking to Kai emphatically.