Chapter 189 (Tigris)

Tigris fought the urge to look back as she closed her chamber door behind her. Her ears rang with the sound of Roche's muffled cries of anguish. She leaned against the door, her breath flooding out of her in a rush. Her thoughts were racing in time with her pounding heart.

Her mind was consumed with the image of Roche's blazing eyes, of her kind but scarred hands. Of the desperation in her face as she'd tipped her head up to meet Tigris' gaze.

And then... a moment of pause as something Tigris didn't dare dwell on filled Roche's warm doe eyes. It had taken all of Tigris' restraint to not tug down the strip of fabric between Roche's lips and lean closer to press against those soft lips of wisdom. She wanted to feel the heat of Roche's body against her, to soothe the burning of her skin that demanded the friction of Roche's touch. Tigris wanted to feel all the stories and secrets Roche had to tell her with a kiss.

Her breath hitched. She tilted her head back with a quiet gasp. The hallway was cool compared to her candle lit room. The guards across the hall startled at the sight of her.

"Is everything alright, my lady?" one of them asked tentatively, stepping closer.

Tigris straightened, hoping that the flush of her cheeks had faded.

"Everything's fine," she assured them. And it was. She couldn't retreat back into her chambers now. She couldn't kiss Roche and ply her with all the love she and her big heart deserved. Because Tigris was going to die at Moiris and Roche had already lost one lover.

Tigris wouldn't let her lose another.

The thought settled her. Her breath suddenly flowed a bit easier.

"Goodbye, Roche," Tigris whispered again to the closed door. And then she walked away.

-------

The courtyard was abuzz with activity. Tigris stood at the front of the chaos, at the mouth of the castle beneath large stone arches. She pointed to another squadron atop their horses, checking their weapons and torches. There was only so much they could carry. Their supplies consisted of just enough food to sustain them, flaming weapons to fight the uska, and regular weapons to fight any inkbloods that Finn might have with him.

Three quarters of the army had agreed to march to Moiris. Only one quarter would stay behind to defend the next in line to the throne. All in all, Tigris had an impressive force behind her. She'd never been more proud of her knights and their bravery.

"The third group is ready," Tigris told Ivie. The knight nodded. Tigris had assigned each of her four most trusted knights to command one fourth of the legion. Ruth and Sir Harold were already riding ahead with half of their mobilized force. Ivie and Brom were readying the other half under Tigris' direction. When everyone was ready, Tigris would bring up the rear and then make her way to the front while they were still close to the castle to ensure the smoothness of their procession.

Tigris nodded at Ivie. She raised her voice. "Move out!" she ordered the gathered group. Ivie mounted her horse in a smooth motion. She lifted her brows at the queen as she gathered the reins in her gloved hands.

"My lady, I believe there is someone here to see you," the knight announced, her eyes twinkling. Before Tigris could press, Ivie had flicked her reins and was moving to the front of the group, instructing and guiding her group.

"Tigris."

The queen turned, blanching when she found Kai standing just behind her. He wasn't dressed in his usual attire. He wore a vest of chainmail and fitted trousers, a mirror image of the knights in the courtyard. A weapons belt was slung across his hips, holding a small sword and dagger.