Chapter 56 (Tigris)

Night was approaching. The sun was dipping beneath the horizon, splashing the sky with a beautiful blend of reds, oranges, and pinks. Tigris watched the sun set as her door creaked open.

"Where's Roche?" Aodh asked gruffly from the doorway.

Tigris didn't turn to face him, afraid he'd see the incriminating shame on her face. "I sacked her."

Aodh's silent surprise clouded the air. "What?"

"She was asking too many stupid questions, putting stupid ideas in my head." Tigris shook her head, clearing away the traitorous thoughts that remained, "My focus can't waver. Not tonight."

Aodh was silent for a moment. She expected him to cheer, but he remained surprisingly quiet. Tigris heard his footsteps clack against her floor as he approached.

"Let me help you with that." he murmured softly, pointing to the pieces of her armour strewn across her floor. Roche normally would help her put it on but Roche was gone now.

Tigris nodded, unable to get the words out around the tightness in her throat.

Aodh worked quickly and efficiently, threading the leather cords around her arm to fasten the pieces of armour in place. His large, calloused fingers brushed the nape of her neck as he fastened her chest plate.

"Are you really going out there?" he asked quietly, bending to pick up another piece. Tigris swallowed to keep her voice steady.

"I must. It is my duty."

Aodh spun her around by the shoulders. His eyes were more serious than she'd ever seen before. His lips flattened into a thin line. "If Finn is right-"

"He won't be."

"What if he is?" Aodh asked tensely. His ice blue eyes bored into her green ones. "If he's right, you're going to die."

Tigris looked away. "You know Finn, he can be dramatic sometimes."

"Don't lie to me, Tigris. You felt the truth in his words." Aodh growled, shaking her gently until he met her eyes again. The worry in his face stole her breath, but she couldn't take his concern. Not when she'd been battling her own fears for hours.

"I can't disobey Father," Tigris' voice cracked against her will, "You know it. I disgraced him in court today, I need to maintain my honour."

"At the cost of your life?" Aodh hissed furiously.

Tigris held his gaze, something settling in her chest. "Yes," she breathed the admission softly, "If that's what it takes."

Aodh searched her face for a moment. Then he sighed, stepping back. He hefted her sword.

"Then I'm coming with you." he murmured, flipping the hilt of the blade towards Tigris. She grasped it, shaking her head.

"If Finn's right, then Father is going to need a new heir after tonight." Tigris clasped her brother's shoulder, ensuring that the truth of her words seeped into her eyes. She offered him the largest smile she could offer. "I know you'll be the heir this kingdom deserves."

Aodh backpedaled immediately, shaking his head vigorously. "You can't expect me to let you ride out to your death alone."

"I won't be alone." Tigris insisted, flipping her sword in her hand. "I'll have the knights."

"No," Aodh insisted, his eyes wild. Tigris noted with a pang of her heart that he looked like Finn in that instant. "They aren't enough. I'll come with you."

"You won't." Tigris said softly, prowling forward. Aodh's eyes narrowed.

"What are you doing?" he managed to ask as Tigris lifted her sword and brought the hilt down onto her brother's head. Aodh's eyes rolled up, and Tigris barely managed to catch him. She eased his body to the floor before finding some clothes to bind him with. He'd wake up with a wicked headache in a few hours, but he'd be alive.