Chapter 73 (Roche)

Finn's outburst confirmed it. He'd seen something relevant in his visions. And even if his it wasn't accurate, it signalled the start of something, something that probably had to do with Fake Harold.

Roche locked the library doors. Harold was off on a patrol as Tigris bathed. Verita was with Leinos, helping him brew an elixir of some kind. It meant that Roche was alone in the library, and she had a giant bird to see.

Roche was familiar enough with the tunnel now that she didn't stumble as she walked through.

"Circe?" she called, "It's me."

"Not again."

Roche grinned as a flurry of dark feathers wrapped around her, tugging her through a wall that felt like it was made of nothing but sand. It was over in a moment, and Roche steadied herself against the wall that was solid again.

"This is starting to become a habit, Ala." Circe sniffed, "Why can you never come in here with good news? Like a rat for me to feast on. Or a horse."

"You eat horses?" Roche asked in fascination before she reminded herself of why she was here, "I mean, this is important. It has to do with the prophecy."

The Striga instantly sobered. They ruffled their feathers, glowing orange eyes dimming. "So you've learned of it."

"My mother had a copy of it." Roche explained, using her inkblood to make the fire cradled in her palms swell. In the growing light, she saw a sharp gleam enter Circe's avian gaze. "I don't suppose you know anything about it?"

"It's the prophecy I have counselled you about." Circe replied. They peered at Roche quizzically. "One of them, at least."

Roche narrowed her eyes. "There's more?"

"Hundreds." Circe confirmed, much to Roche's disappointment, "You did not earn your name without having such a poignant future, Ala. It has been seen by many."

Roche tucked away that knowledge into the back of her mind. She didn't have much time left until Tigris was done with her bath or Sir Harold returned.

"You clearly know a lot about this prophecy. More than I do." Roche said, "So can you tell me if its events are already occurring? Does the 'traitor' walk in the castle?"

Circe blinked in surprise. "Yes, Ala. He walks in this castle. I did not expect you to make the connection so quickly."

"I'm not that dumb." Roche huffed, her pride flaring slightly, "He literally told me he was going to try killing Tigris and tried throwing me off a cliff. I think I can stop him, though. I just-"

"Stop." Circe's command blasted through her like a hurricane's gale. The bird had gone perfectly still, their orange eyes glowing as bright as the fire between Roche's palms. "The prince has already turned against you? The prophecies implied he would not do so yet."

Roche reeled, shock exploding within her so potently she saw stars. "THE PRINCE?!" she shouted, "The prince is the traitor?!"

Circe sighed deeply, lowering their feathery body to the ground like this conversation exhausted them and nodded. The simple confirmation stole Roche's breath. In her palms, her flames guttered with surprise.

One of the princes would betray Tigris. No. It couldn't be true. They loved Tigris, they were willing to give their lives up for her. They would never turn against Tigris.

"Who did you think the traitor was?" Circe's voice filtered through Roche's inkblood distantly. This had to be a mistake of some kind. Circe must have read a faulty prophecy.