Chapter 113 (Roche)

TW: Brief mention of blood, injury, and statue corpses

The halls were stained with red that was quickly fading into grey flecked stone. Roche raced through the halls, her mind blanking as she skidded to a halt in front of the wide windows overseeing the courtyard. Glass littered the floor. Many of the windows and stained glass pieces were broken, moonlight distorting the shattered art.

Roche peered out into the courtyard, her stomach bottoming out with horror when she saw a slew of stone bodies strewn across the space. Some of the faces she recognized as knights. The others, she realised with a note of dread, were servants.

The beast had widened its palate. She swallowed, noticing servants and knights running to and from the courtyard carrying bloodied bodies.

Survivors.

That meant Tigris might have survived.

Her legs were moving under her before she could register the fact that she was running. Her mind blurred with panic as she threw open the infirmary doors. Her eyes scanned the cots filled with sleeping faces, the world tipping over when she saw a familiar face on the cot.

"Aodh?" she whispered in horror. She stared down at his pale face. He wasn't dead, or turned to stone, but the fact that he was unconscious meant that this beast was a true threat.

A true threat that Tigris had faced.

"He's alright," a flat voice pierced the stillness of the room. Roche whipped around to find Finn leaning against the doorway, his face uncharacteristically closed off. He gazed at Roche coolly. "So is Tigris."

"Thank the gods," she sighed, relief coursing through her. Then she noticed the blood streaking down his arms.

As if noticing her sudden concern, Finn's eyes drifted to a cot.

Roche's heart stopped. Rich dark skin. Closed eyes that were usually lucid and warm brown. A broad nose. A strong, broad chest that was now wrapped in bandages.

"Oh gods," Roche gasped, staring down at Kai. She swallowed, glancing up at Finn. His face was expressionless, utterly blank. A stir of unease curdled her stomach.

"How-"

"He shoved me out of the way of the beast's attack," Finn answered, his voice still terribly monotone. A shiver ran up Roche's spine as his eyes pinned her in place, something sharp and jagged in them, "He saved my life and Tigris'. Leinos says he might not make it."

Roche nearly sank to her knees. "Oh gods. Finn, that's horrible. I'm so sorry."

"I suppose you are."

The words were jarring and accusatory. In that moment, Finn was so unlike the dreamy, scholarly prince she knew and more his icy, warrior brother.

Ice trickled down her spine.

"What?" she asked quietly. Finn pushed off the wall, stalking closer. His steps were feline with precision and grace, the epitome of a hunter.

"Where were you, Roche?" Finn asked, his voice too soft. His eyes bored into hers. "You usually never leave Tigris' side when there's a threat this big. Yet you abandoned her. Me. Kai." The last name made his voice crack, revealing something far more searing than grief.

Roche swallowed, her words abandoning her for a moment. "I was in the library," she lied quickly, fearing this new, devastated Finn, "I-I was researching. I figured Tigris could manage for one day."

"Don't lie to me."

The words were soft but lethal. Roche flinched as they sliced at her skin. Finn came closer, so close that she could no longer mistake the gleam in his eyes for anything other than what they were: anger.