Chapter 51 (Roche)

"Why do I even bother being her protector?" Roche growled as she stalked through the halls. Her knuckles ached bitterly, and she smelled terribly of shoe polish. The scent would linger on her for days. Not to mention she had a million nicks on her fingers from sharpening swords. She'd also nearly set off ten guns while checking the gunpowder stores, stopped in time only by heer inkblood.

All in all, Roche was not having a good time.

She walked into the infirmary looking like a wreck. Verita took one look at her and grimaced.

"That bad?"

"You have no idea." Roche sighed, crossing the room. She stretched her pained fingers. "How's she doing?"

"Better," Leinos promised, running a hand through his salt and pepper hair. "She only needed a few stitches, but I knocked her out to check for any poison running through her system. So far, she seems fine. She'll wake up soon."

"Perfect," Verita replied, "I'll need to get her testimonial to confirm my findings."

"Do you have an idea what the creature is?" Roche asked as Leinos darted off to the other twelve cots he'd arranged, empty vials of elixirs abandoned beside each one.

Verita hesitated for a moment. "I have a theory." she paused, her eyes glancing around the infirmary, "But I'd rather not say it here."

Roche inspected the librarian's face. Verita was rarely secretive about knowledge. Except when it came to one topic.

Roche lowered her voice until it was barely audible. "Does it have something to do with inkblood?"

Verita nodded quickly, glancing around at the other patients who were knocked unconscious. "We'll talk once we're back in our chambers."

A groan interrupted Roche's reply. She jolted up as Ivie stirred in her cot, blinking up in confusion. Her strong, muscled arms darted to the side like she expected a sword to be there. Roche barely managed to jump out of the way.

"Ivie!" she cried out excitedly. Ivie's eyes widened, her brows furrowing.

"Roche?" she murmured, sitting up slightly. "Where am I? What am I doing in- agh!" She clutched her side. Leinos hurried over.

"That's what you get for sitting up too quickly." he chided gently, easing Ivie up slowly. "You'll tear a stitch if you keep moving so fast."

"I needed stitches?" Ivie peeled her soiled shirt away from her side, her face darkening as she stared at the bandages stuck to her skin. "Great. The steward's going to be pleased."

"You've been excused from your duties to heal. You saved a fellow member of the royal household." Verita explained, nudging Roche out of the way. She stared at Ivie hawkishly, holding up a pad of paper and a pen. "Would you mind telling us what you saw?"

"A giant, white furred wolf." Ivie replied slowly, glancing at Roche, "It was huge. As tall as a tree. Heavily muscled. Seemed to freeze people."

"Freeze people?" Verita repeated. Ivie nodded.

"Before it mauled some of the servants, it would pin them down and breathe on them. The victim would just... stop struggling." Ivie shuddered, "It would sniff them and then tear into them."

Verita fell silent.

"Did that confirm anything?" Roche asked. Verita snapped her pad of paper shut.

"It did. Thank you, Ivie, you've given me much to consider." Verita murmured, her eyes faraway. To Roche, she whispered, "Come back to the library as soon as you can. We need to talk."