Chapter 91 (Roche)

Roche stood a careful distance away from Finn and Kai as they watched Tigris kneel before her father, her face flushed. The throne room was empty, save for Verita, Leinos, the king, and his children. They all gathered before the throne in a shameful huddle.

King Romulus' face was tomato red with fury. He gripped the armrests of his throne tightly, his eyes icy.

"Are you telling me," the king said slowly, his voice growing louder by the moment, "That not only do we have a rogue librarian running through the forest, but his demon spawn of a scribe is currently hiding in the castle?!"

Tigris winced, head bowed. "Unfortunately... yes."

Romulus' eyes flashed murderously. "This is not only an embarrassment to our army, but dangerous to the people. The inkbloods must be found as soon as possible."

Tigris' cheeks flushed at the insult. She lowered her head obediently. "Of course. The castle has been placed on lockdown. The scribe, and whoever is harbouring him, will be found as soon as possible and used to locate the librarian."

It was an effort not to look at Finn or Kai. Roche kept her eyes staunchly ahead, ignoring the drop of sweat that trickled down her spine.

"See to it," Romulus bit out, jaw clenched. He pinned Tigris with a disgusted look. "I don't understand how you managed to lose the inkblood when he was standing in front of you."

The king's voice echoed off the walls. Tigris winced and wisely refrained from commenting on his ire.

"I'm not sure. He just disappeared, as did his barrier." Tigris explained, her hand tightening over the pommel of her sword, "I've never seen anything like it."

"Nor I." the king admitted uneasily, some of his disappointment with his daughter fading for worry, "Verita, do our records mention such a thing?"

Verita's robes rustled beside Roche. The old librarian rifled through a few documents in her hand. "I believe the inkblood has summoned an omphalos."

Aodh cocked his head in confusion. "A what?"

"An omphalos," Verita repeated, her sharp eyes darting towards the king, "The incantation is used to summon a sacred space for inkbloods. It is said to be impossible to enter, save for those with enough inkblood to summon it. It was said to be impenetrable to those who did not meet those qualifications, so our records are rather sparse."

Tigris' face twisted with confusion. "If it's so impenetrable, then why did my sword make it through?"

"I'm not sure," Verita admitted haltingly. She glanced at the king before adding, "But the omphalos is considered sacred amongst those who worship inkblood. In the days before the ban, it was part of a holy pilgrimage for only the most powerful of inkbloods. For someone to try crossing the barrier with ill intent was considered desecration and a terrible omen."

Romulus snorted. "Surely you don't believe the librarian's threats, Verita."

Verita bowed her head, her wrinkled cheeks tightening at the derision in the king's voice. Beside her, Leinos stiffened.

"I'm wary, sire. The records seem to detail misfortune to those who desecrated the omphalos." she said slowly. Romulus barked out a harsh laugh that was as warm as a brick of ice atop a fjord.

"Then I suppose it's a good thing that it's not an omphalos. Tigris' sword managed to break this 'impenetrable barrier' just fine." Romulus snorted.

Verita narrowed her eyes. "Sire-"

"Inkblood will bend to steel and fire as it always has, Verita." Romulus chided slowly, like Verita was a child instead of a wizened, knowledgeable woman, "We cannot fall prey to the superstitions of inkblood. Tigris will find the scribe and lead the hunt for the librarian, regardless of whatever little bubble he made to protect himself."