Chapter 93 (Roche)

The kid was quiet. He sat calmly on the edge of Finn's enormous bed, his tiny feet dangling over the perfectly polished floors, dripping melting bits of snow. He seemed content to stare at the growing pool of water on the ground, his eerie bronze eyes wide with fascination. On the other side of the room, three adults stood in front of the large windows, staring at him.

Finn pinched the bridge of his nose like he had a headache. "Do we have any idea where the librarian got to?"

"None whatsoever." Roche answered quietly, unable to take her eyes off the child. She kept her voice low, "Tigris hasn't found any trace of him in the forest."

Finn pursed his petal-like lips. "And you haven't found anything?" His voice was sharp and strained. Evidently, defying his father and hiding a fugitive was beginning to take a toll on him. Kai's eyes bloomed with concern. He placed a steadying hand on Finn's shoulder.

"I doubt that Roche can find anything if Tigris hasn't." Kai said gently. Finn leaned into his touch slightly.

"I'm sorry, you're right." he apologised, "I don't mean to snap."

"It's fine." Roche assured him, "I'm sorry I got you in trouble. I'll find somewhere to hide him until we can find his coven."

Finn bit his lip gently. "Where?"

Roche's mind darted to the tunnels, but they were vast and easy for a child to get lost in. She still had to care for Tigris, which meant she'd need to leave the child unattended for stretches of time. There was no telling what would happen if the child wandered off.

"He can stay at my place," Kai offered quietly. He met Roche's gaze firmly even though his face turned ashen.

Roche shook her head. "I can't ask you to do that. You're already risking your life by helping me now."

"So are you." Finn pointed out. "Let's face it. Out of the three of us, the only one the king wouldn't execute is me."

"Finn, you don't have to." Roche said quietly, her stomach clenching. He was showing her more kindness than she'd shown him in the past few months, "The king has already barred you from the library, there's no telling what he'll do if he finds out."

Finn's verdant eyes hardened. "I bear that banishment and any punishment that may follow with pride. I meant what I said." There was a quiet ferocity to the words, a fire in his gaze as he spoke. Roche's heart warmed slightly. Finn glanced back at the child with a fond smile. "Children have no place on the pyre."

Kai nodded, his cheeks darkening with a flush as he watched Finn. Kai squeezed Finn's shoulder. "Do we know his name?"

"No. He hasn't spoken at all." Finn murmured, "He's had a rather long day. He was half frozen when he first came here."

"He hasn't eaten either." Kai noted, biting his lip hard enough to draw blood, "I'll go get some food from the kitchens."

"I'll come with you." Roche replied, noting the tension in her friend's frame. She glanced back at Finn and added, "If that's alright with you, of course."

Finn nodded. "I'll talk to the child. Perhaps he'll speak to me."

Roche turned to follow Kai out.

"Thank you, Ala."

Roche started, nearly bowling over Kai. She glanced back at the child to find him staring directly at her with those shimmering eyes. She swallowed.

"It's alright. Stay here and speak with the prince. He means well."

The child nodded ever so slightly as Roche closed the door. She turned to Kai before they could set out into the halls.

"I owe you an apology, my friend. I know Finn is alright with this, but I sprung this on you as well." Roche added, nervousness filling her at Kai's inscrutable face. "If you aren't okay with this, I'll keep the child elsewhere, no questions asked."