Chapter 98 (Tigris)

Tigris' guilt weighed her down as they rode back to the city. Roche, with her usual irritating peppiness, tried to engage in conversation for the entire ride until Tigris snapped at her to shut up. Since then, silence simmered between them awkwardly. But Roche just couldn't keep her mouth shut.

"What's wrong?" Roche sighed finally.

Tigris glared at her. Would it kill Roche to be quiet for a few minutes? "Nothing," Tigris spat, "I'm tired of listening to you."

Roche cocked her head knowingly, "Is this about what Tarak said?" Tigris turned her face away so that Roche wouldn't see the flicker of emotion that passed through her eyes. Roche's sigh plumed in front of Tigris, her breath warm in the frigid temperatures. "Look, you didn't know any better."

"It's still my fault," Tigris groaned, her stomach twisting with guilt, "The people of the lower town had their homes flooded for my mistake. Kai's home is destroyed. And half of the merchants had their wares soaked and frozen."

Roche hummed thoughtfully. "I guess so. But you're trying to fix it. That's what matters."

"Don't try and absolve my guilt, Roche." Tigris grumbled, her fingers tightening around the reins before she could do something else stupid. She was a terrible ruler. And she wasn't even queen yet! If she was screwing up already, what would happen when she actually ran the kingdom?

"I'm not," Roche protested firmly, interrupting Tigris' mental spiral, "What you did was a mistake. But fixing it is more important than moping."

Tigris scowled, lifting her gaze back up to Roche. "I'm not moping. I'm..."

"Brooding? Sulking? Pouting?" Roche offered with a cheeky smile. Tigris brought her horse close enough to whack the back of Roche's head. Roche yelped and tried to duck out of the way, laughing all the while. "Face it, princess. You're trying to atone and that's what matters right now. Let your emotions guide you, not control you." Warmth filled Tigris' chest, chasing away some of the sickening shame roiling in her chest.

A sudden rustle in the bushes drew her attention. Tigris' body stiffened automatically, a product of years of training. She held up her hand with a warning signal before she remembered that it was just her and Roche in the forest.

"Is that supposed to scare me?" Roche chuckled.

"Shut up!"

"Nah, let's decipher this fancy signal. I know the middle finger means-"

"Damn it, Roche! I heard something," Tigris hissed. Roche instantly stiffened, drawing her horse closer to Tigris'. She scanned the trees as Tigris brought their horses to a stop.

"I thought the next patrol wouldn't be in this part of the forest until midday," Roche whispered.

Tigris' muscles clenched with anticipation. She carefully reached for her sword. The bushes rustled again. She gestured for Roche to be silent as she drew her horse closer.

Closer.

Roche's breath was a whisper. Tigris used her sword to cut through the underbrush, sending chunks of snow flying. A thin figure stumbled back and away, hands raised. Logs of wood slipped from their hands.

"Don't hurt me!" the young woman cried. She looked petrified, innocent grey blue eyes thrown wide. Her blonde lashes fluttered fearfully, her cheeks blooming red, the same shade as her half-frozen fingertips. Tigris held her sword up for a moment, eyeing the woman's ragged dress and flowing blonde locks.

"What are you doing in the woods at this hour?" Tigris demanded.

The woman's lips wobbled, tears filling her wide eyes. Snow stuck to her cheeks like tears. "I was getting more wood. My family's supply got soaked by the flood and we don't have enough."