Chapter 10 (Roche)

Roche had never been to her mother's country. She didn't speak their tongue, nor did she remember much from her few childhood years there. Even so, it was hard to keep her face a still mask during all the talks of war. She was surprised to see Finn and the princess' support for leniency. There was, of course, an impressive display of Tigris' political maneuvering. Roche grudgingly admired how the princess took control of the room, twisting Sir Harris' blatant disrespect into her moment to command. It unnerved Roche to realise how much power the princess actually had. 

How close had she been to being tossed out of the Faultless Kingdom? What would Tigris do if she realised Roche had inkblood running through her veins. She shuddered at the thoughts.

"It's incredible, isn't it?" Kai whispered. Roche shrugged.

"A bit scary, actually." she replied, "I've never seen this kingdom in a war as great as one with Irulia would be."

Kai tilted his head contemplatively. "That's true." he noted quietly, "This must also be hard for you."

Roche stared straight ahead, Verita's warnings ringing in her ears. "Not really. I haven't been to Irulia before. It's just another kingdom to me."

There was a beat of silence. Kai lowered his voice. "During my third year as Finn's servant, the Faultless Kingdom was having a dispute with northern Shulta, where my father hails from."

Roche watched him curiously.

"All I'm saying," Kai said, his eyes gleaming with meaning, "Is that I understand how difficult this must be for you. I know everyone in the Faultless Kingdom will not be kind to you in the coming days, but there are those of us that will be."

Roche recognized his words for what they were. They were a reminder of the trust they shared as two individuals who so clearly looked different in this room of war hungry advisors. Roche's heart softened a little bit.

"Thank you, Kai." she murmured, giving his hand a small squeeze. He nodded.

"I wouldn't worry too much," he added, "Tigris doesn't seem too fond of her father's plans, from what Finn tells me."

Even Roche could tell that much. She glanced at Kai. "I don't know how much sway she has. Besides, you can't trust that arrogant girl."

Kai stared at the princess, his eyes glittering.

"She has a good heart," he whispered, "if she's the only one in this room, apart from Finn, who will speak for us."

Roche was rendered speechless. He was right. The rest of the advisors were nodding along with the King's plans. Only Tigris and Finn looked passive. Roche wouldn't know that the princess was bothered if she wasn't watching so closely. The heir's hand kept twitching towards her sword, like she wanted to hack away at the advisors as much as Roche wanted to. Her inkblood pulsed. Roche wasn't sure why, but she had to stop herself from jolting towards the princess.

"I suppose so." she muttered, her eyes wandering back towards the king. Tigris gazed at him with nothing but admiration. Her mind drifted back to the conversation she'd overheard last night. None of it made sense. But it had sounded like the king was in trouble. Roche's heart squeezed as she thought of the possibility of the princess without her father at the head of the table.

-------

"How old is the library?" Roche asked over her bland lunch. She sat in Verita's quarters again. This meal was better, with some gentle herbs seasoning the chicken and some overcooked mush that was considered rice. It was better than the sludgy breakfast, but still terrible. Verita swallowed her bite, looking up from the book she was flipping through.