Chapter 71 (Roche)

Tigris was swinging her sword while blindfolded. While Roche found that as a good way to get her head lopped off, Tigris moved with practised ease. She easily knocked away a seasoned knight the moment they so much as twitched towards her.

It was actually impressive. Roche had actually nearly impaled herself while sharpening that very sword, and she hadn't been wearing a blindfold.

Tigris tore off her blindfold the moment the knight was on the ground, her sword pressed against the delicate flesh of his throat. She pulled back, holding her hand to help the man back up, already pointing out errors in the knight's stance. Roche smiled at the sight.

"I don't know how you survived, but rest assured, I won't fail a second time." a voice whispered in her ear. Roche felt the cold press of a blade against her back. She didn't have to turn to know that Harold was standing behind her bench, his stance so casual that no one would see the dagger he'd discreetly placed against the small of her back.

She went perfectly still, her heart racing. He leaned closer, the scraggly hairs of his chestnut beard brushing the shell of her ear until she shivered.

"Go on," he whispered, "Make a face. Scream. Call for your precious princess and I'll tell her the truth of what runs through your veins."

Roche kept her eyes forward, locked on Tigris. "You have no proof. She'd rend you limb from limb for such a false allegation." Roche replied confidently. Harold's low chuckle sent a chill up her spine.

"Really? You think she'd take the word of a measly servant over the word of the head knight?" his voice was teasing, disgustingly playful.

"Tigris values all of her citizens."

"Does she now?" the dagger point pressed just hard enough to pierce her flesh. Roche swallowed. "Because I was guarding her during that Council session. She didn't fight very hard for you commoners."

"I'd like to see you go up against the king." Roche shot back. "Besides, I think you're forgetting that I don't need Tigris to fight for me."

Roche focused her mind just enough for an incantation to sound. Harold hissed as the hilt of his dagger glowed with sudden, scorching heat. Roche forced herself not to turn as he let out a strangled grunt, dropping the burning dagger.

Harold ripped off his burnt glove, revealing perfectly smooth skin. Roche winced. Right. She'd forgotten the copy was invulnerable.

"Nice try," Harold muttered, his eyes flattening with fury, "But now you've just irritated me and the Council. And-"

"Sir Harold!" Tigris called from across the field. The princess wiped sweat off her forehead, flicking it across the grass, "You're up."

Harold picked up his now cooled dagger. He flipped it in his hand. Roche couldn't help but note how he caught it with the sharp tip pointed towards her.

"Say a word about me to the princess, and your little secret will be out." he whispered as he walked past her. His sinister expression smoothed out instantly as he marched towards the princess, whistling a jubilant tune. Roche glared at his back, clenching her jaw so hard that she heard a tooth crack.

"You okay?" Roche turned to find Kai walking towards her. His concerned eyes were focused on Harold as the knight pulled his sword out of his sheath.

"Yeah," Roche forced a cheerful expression to her face, "How's Finn doing?"

"Better. He's still a bit upset about the tax meeting." Kai replied, pointing to where Finn and Aodh were locked in an argument at the edge of the training field, across from where Tigris was currently sparring with Sir Harold. Roche focused her gaze on the fight, watching the quick clash of blades before Tigris disarmed the knight with ease.