Chapter 38 (Tigris)

The tunnel was pitch black. Tigris couldn't see anything in front of her at all. It was incredibly disconcerting. Still, Roche was enough of a coward for the both of them, so Tigris tamped down her fear.

"You should have brought that burning stick." she grumbled, keeping an arm extended in front of her. Roche huffed behind her. There was a small scuffle, like the maid had tripped. Tigris rolled her eyes as Roche audibly scrambled to her feet.

"Well if you tell me where you're going without running headfirst into things, then maybe I'd think to bring a torch next time!" Roche snapped. It was like a kitten trying to roar. Tigris snorted. That seemed to infuriate Roche further.

"It's not funny!" Roche insisted, her voice trembling, "Now we can't see! You can't fight blind!"

There was a healthy dose of fear in the girl's voice. That's right, she'd just been in her third battle. Tigris' heart panged. The maid's poor heart must be on the brink of collapse.

"Don't worry, we'll be fine." she assured the girl, "I can fight blindfolded."

"I can't!"

Tigris actually laughed at that joke. "You can't fight with both eyes open, Roche. I wouldn't trust you to not chop off your arm if you were blindfolded with a sword."

Roche was silent at that. Not even a snort. Tigris frowned, but something ahead caught her attention.

"Hey, look. There's some light up ahead." she pointed out. The tunnel seemed to widen into a large cavern.Roche didn't reply. Tigris frowned, drawing closer to the light. She glanced over her shoulder. "C'mon, Roche. Don't be such a sourpuss..." she trailed off.

Roche wasn't behind her.

Tigris drew her sword, crouching defensively. "Roche?" she called.

No answer. Not even a small sound of scuffling. Fear clenched her chest.

"Do not fear."

Tigris spun around, her sword extended. She nearly dropped it when she saw the being in front of her.

The woman was translucent and gleaming cerulean. Her hair was as pale as Finn's ghostly skin, a brilliant white that matched her washed out pallor. Her eyes glowed a brilliant, unnatural blue that matched the sconces on the wall of the empty cavern. Her eyes seemed to shift and dance with every flicker of the sconces. Her dress flowed angelically above her hovering feet.

That was the strangest part. The woman was floating.

Tigris levelled her sword, forcing down her rising panic. "Where's Roche?"

"Safe," the woman promised. Her voice was soft and gentle, not matching the strange, powerful aura that surrounded her. "Just like your brothers."

"Where are they?" Tigris demanded, her muscles tensing. It was clear this was a supernatural creature of some kind. Possibly inkblood related. There's no telling what it could do.

"Facing their own challenges." the ethereal woman responded dismissively. Tigris clenched her jaw.

"We come in peace. We have no need for challenges. Let us pass." she ordered curtly. The woman tilted her head, locks of her angelic hair spilling over her shoulder.

"I think not, Princess Tigris. You come for the Council's object of power." the woman murmured. Unease curled up Tigris' spine. She stiffened.

"And are you protecting this object from me?" Tigris demanded. The woman laughed. Tigris blinked, and suddenly the woman was standing nose to nose with her, her ghostly breath brushing her skin.

"Yes and no, Princess Tigris." the woman answered over Tigris' yelp of surprise, "I am also protecting you from the object of power. You and all who you came with."

Tigris stepped back, but found the tunnel she'd come through had sealed up. She was trapped in the circular room. Fear crawled up her throat.

"Let me and mine go." Tigris hissed, swinging her sword. The woman moved inhumanly fast, dodging every blow. Tigris gritted her teeth.

"Enough of that." the woman said calmly, flicking her wrist. Tigris's sword went flying, crumbling to ashes in the air. Years of training had her hand whipping for her belt to unsheath a dagger, but she found the sheath to be empty, only with a few bits of ash left over.

"You... you used inkblood." Tigris muttered, crouching defensively. The woman smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes.

"Yes. I cannot be killed by your mortal weapons, nor do I mean you harm. The object you seek has the potential to do great evils."

"It is being used to do great evil! Someone's using it to make a plague!" Tigris snapped, fists clenching at her sides, "That's why I'm here to destroy it."

"I do not know of the story behind the object, my lady. I only know it was brought here, given to me for protection. To get the object, you must be pure of heart."

"Who the hell even are you?" Tigris hissed. The woman's lips twitched.

"Do you know where you are?"

"In a creepy ass tunnel, bargaining for the one object that can save this kingdom!"

"This is the tunnel to what used to be one of the greatest libraries on earth." the woman announced. Her eyes seemed to dim. "Before the ban on inkblood, this tunnel led to a room so full of books that it was considered a temple of knowledge."

Rebellious curiosity bloomed in Tigris' mind. She knew the danger of libraries. Still, she couldn't help but ask, "What happened?"

The woman's smile disappeared. "It was burned when the ban was enacted. So many books could only strengthen inkbloods. It was a risk King Romulus was not prepared to take. Even as it burned, the knowledge this place held could not fully be burned away. Inkblood still exists here in its stead. These grounds are considered sacred. The perfect place for inkbloods to put that which they need to protect."

"So the Council put the object of power here for safekeeping." Tigris deduced, a headache beginning to pulse behind her eyes. This was treason on a whole other level. "I can understand the logistics behind that decision. But I need that object."

The woman sighed, floating closer to the ground. "The inkblood protection is not simple to resist. Only the purehearted can make it through."

"How. Do. I. Get. Through?" Tigris ground out, her patience waning. She really wished she still had her sword. The woman sighed again, long and deep.

"So be it. You must face your truth to show your purity. Just as your brothers and maid have chosen to do."

Tigris blinked and the woman was beside her, touching one ghostly finger to her temple.

Then everything went dark.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed this quick chapter!