Chapter 132 (Roche)

Roche stole a grape off of Tigris' breakfast tray, frowning unhappily as some of its juice spurted down her throat. The princess was still asleep, snoring in her giant bed. Roche had crept out of the room the moment the sun had risen and followed the tug in her soul down the winding halls. She had unlocked the library doors with shaking fingers, finding Verita standing in the middle of the suddenly cavernous space, looking as helpless as Roche felt.

Roche had crossed the distance between them, sorrow branding her soul. They didn't say anything as they began to wade through the ashes.

They didn't need to.

Roche's inkblood had saved what seemed like a quarter of the texts. The rest, the texts, the shelves, the stories, the facts, the goddamn history, was nothing but powder and scorch marks. Roche had to leave as the castle awoke to a world that had a little less ink than the nights past. She had a princess to serve after all.

Kai was in the kitchens when she arrived and snacked on Tigris' grapes. He looked weary and bedraggled, like his night had been just as awful. Roche didn't doubt that it had been. He'd probably been up all night tending to Finn.

"You look terrible," Roche informed him as gently as she could as she approached. Kai smiled at her tiredly.

"Good to know, I feel terrible," his smile faded, and his warm brown eyes scrutinised her carefully, "How are you doing, Roche?"

She forced a smile to her face. "I'm still kicking. How's Finn?"

Kai frowned instantly, hefting the prince's tray in his hands. It was packed with sweets, Finn's favourites, probably.

"Inconsolable," he murmured, "He's furious. I've never seen him like this. I almost didn't believe it when he told me it would happen."

"He told you it would happen?" Roche asked, her eyes widening. Finn was going to get himself killed if he told the wrong person. Kai's eyes widened in panic.

"He told me he already told you!"

"He told you that?" Roche hissed. They both looked around furtively to see if anyone in the bustling kitchen had noticed their conversation. Roche dragged Kai out by the elbow, tugging him into an abandoned hallway.

"What exactly has Finn told you?" she asked, her heart lodged in her throat. Kai met her gaze, as steady and resolute as he always was.

"Just that he saw it in one of his visions," Kai answered. His eyes narrowed ever so slightly. "And that no one would believe him. Not Tigris. Not Aodh. And not you."

Roche swallowed as Kai raised his brow at her, emotion rendering her temporarily mute. She'd messed up so terribly.

"And what about you?" she rasped when she seized control of her voice again, "Do you believe him?"

Kai lifted his chin a little, his eyes bright with what looked like protectiveness. "Finn's not a fool. I trust him."

I don't understand why you didn't.

The words went unspoken, but Roche felt them anyway. She bit her lip sharply, her eyes stinging.

"I'm glad," she said after a long pause, "He deserved a good friend right now. You've always listened to him in a way the rest of us haven't been able to."

Kai shifted, staring intently at Finn's breakfast. He righted a muffin carefully, studiously avoiding Roche's gaze. "It's not hard," he admitted softly, "He's the last heir to the throne, but he's one of the smartest. Yet no one tries listening to him."

"No one except you," Roche pointed out softly, watching her friend fidget, "You're a good man, Kai. A good friend."

Kai's eyes slid shut. He looked so tired that Roche's heart twisted. She leaned forward.