Chapter 129 (Tigris)

TW: Coarse language

"Do you have any idea what this is about?" Roche whispered behind Tigris. They were both decked out in training gear. A squire had come up to them, saying that the king requested Tigris' presence in the throne room urgently.

Tigris shook her head, tugging at the hem of her training shirt uncomfortably. The throne room was full of courtiers. She wished she'd had time to freshen up and look a bit less sweaty from training with Roche.

Roche nudged Tigris' side. "Here," the maid murmured, pressing a damp cloth into Tigris' hand, "Your makeup's fine, but dab around your forehead a bit. You're glistening."

"Thanks," Tigris murmured, quickly following the instructions. Aodh sauntered up beside her, his face tight with worry. Tigris' brows furrowed at the sight of him, worry filling her. "He called you here too?"

Aodh frowned. "This can't be good. Where's Finn?"

"Still in the dungeons," Kai answered, coming up beside Roche. His eyes were bright with worry. He met Tigris gaze, wringing his hands nervously. "They haven't let me see him or tend to him, though. It's been days."

Tigris' stomach squirmed. "They haven't let me see him either," she admitted, fighting the urge to bite her lip, "Father's ordered no one in or out except him and his personal guards." She hadn't been able to wheedle any information out of the guards either, they were older and staunchly loyal to her Father.

Aodh looked disgruntled. "Roche," he asked slowly, "Have you been able to use your 'charm' to visit Finn?"

Roche shook her head, much to Tigris' dismay. Tigris exchanged a nervous glance with her brother. It was well known between the both of them that inkblood was considered the highest of offenses in her father's eyes, but would he try to hurt Finn for it?

Or worse, kill him?

"We need to check on him," Tigris murmured as the enormous double doors swung open. The king swept in, his face blank and unreadable. The shadows on his face were sharp, giving his face a severe look. He didn't glance at Tigris or her brother once. A shiver went down her spine.

Aodh's eyes narrowed as they tracked the king's movements across the throne room. The king swept towards his throne, settling on it with a regal kind of grace.

It was only then that he looked at Tigris. His eyes were cold, disapproving. Instantly, her stomach squirmed like a nest of vipers. They hadn't spoken since he'd discovered the vial in Finn's room several days ago.

"Be seated," he ordered, his voice flat and indecipherably smooth.

Mindful of the eyes on her, Tigris tried not to look at Aodh as she settled on her seat on the dais. In her periphery, she saw Aodh doing the same, his face tight with worry.

The room fell silent, as if even the tittering courtiers and nobles could sense the tension between the royals. The delegates shifted on their feet nervously, their eyes searching the room for the face of Lady Lisa. A lump formed in Tigris' throat.

This was a diplomatic nightmare.

The king's gaze swept over the room, sharp with appraisal. "Thank you all for coming on such short notice," he began, his voice echoing loudly off the walls. His commanding aura filled the air, muting the shuffle of bodies pressing closer to hear. Tigris felt stiff and frozen on her dais. "Three nights ago, a group of inkbloods made an attempt against the Faultless Kingdom."

Gasps rang out in the throne room. Nobles clamoured in distress. The delegates from the Tselts murmured amongst themselves, faces tightening with worry.