❀ 50

i wish that i could wake up with amnesia
and forget about the stupid little things

Donghyuck finally drove home after he saw Hwayoung had gotten into a taxi safely.

She needed time after all.

Her heart and head were all tangled up with strings, not knowing the difference of what she loved and what she needed.

The driver looked at her red puffy eyes through the rearview mirror, watching his seats get drenched with the water from her clothes. "You okay kid?"

Hwayoung wiped her eyes off with her already wet sleeve. "The best."
"Here," he handed her a packet of tissues. "Now where to?"

She gave her address to him and drove off to her home.

He didn't utter another word whilst getting to her place and she was happy with that. Instead, the jazz station was cranked up to cover the loud sounds of the rain falling down. It was kind of comforting.

Thanking the driver for helping her and paying him, Hwayoung rushed to get her keys from her bag to find it wasn't there. "Shit," she cursed under her breath.

Luckily, her porch had a roof installed so the heavy rain that would've made her sick for months couldn't get to her.

It wasn't that late so she rang the doorbell urgently, hearing an "I'm coming."

Her grandmother's voice caused her heart to tingle. Hwayoung just really wanted a hug after her horrible day.

The door opened to the one she yearned to see in her pyjamas. The pyjamas Hwayoung got her. They had a bunch of cartoon cats on it since Mrs. Jo always said her granddaughter resembled one, making her lips always lift up into a smile.

Mrs. Jo's happy expression fell down dramatically after seeing the drenched figure stand by the door, shoulders slumped in sadness. "Oh honey..." she whispered, opening her arms up. "Come here my Hwa."

Hwayoung jumped into her arms. She didn't worry about getting the house wet or leaving the door open. All she wanted was to feel the comfort of her grandmother. She was exhausted.

She broke down as she sensed the presence of loving, open arms. She thought she was already done with her tears, but was she wrong. They couldn't stop streaming down the shoulders of her grandma.

It reminded her of high school when she used to go home crying over the stupidest things like getting hit by a ball, someone taking her snacks, or seeing a dead squirrel on the road. Still, her grandma hugged her until she calmed down every time.

"I got into a fight with him Ma," she sobbed out, words getting stuck in her throat. Saying it out loud made it feel real. "It's all my fault."
"My girl..."

There was so much to say, so much to spit out. But she couldn't. The words of hatefulness echoing through her mind made her want to hide away inside her grandmother's arms forever. The only place she felt safe in.

Hwayoung was weak and Donghyuck was just trying to help. She was a horrible girlfriend, getting mad at him for saying the truth. She wasn't ready to be dating a wonderful man like him. In fact, she didn't deserve it.

How pathetic Hwayoung.

"You're so strong my beautiful girl. Please stay with me," Mrs. Jo whispered in her ears, kissing the top of her head. "I love you so much...seeing you in pain hurts me so much."

"I know...I'm so sorry."
"It's not your fault you're in love dear. Stay true to your heart and I will protect you from everything," she brushed through her hair.