Chapter Six: I Need You.

What?"

"Will you marry me?" Ominis pleaded as he grabbed both of my hands and squeezed them tightly in a desperate attempt to convince me.

"Why..." I asked breathlessly as it was the only word I could squeeze out as I tried to retrain my brain on how to take in air into my lungs to allow me to breathe.

"I... I need you..." Ominis looked in my direction, his face twisting in anguish as he pulled me closer to him "Only you Y/N... "my heart raced as he continued pulling me in closer.

Wait. This isn't right. This isn't how it should be...

I removed my hands gently from his grip and walked past him towards the fireplace. I rubbed my hand across my face as my chest tightened in pain. He didn't want me... he needed me, and it wasn't the way that I always dreamed that he would need me. No... he needed me to get his parents away from him, to no longer be considered a Gaunt in their eyes. He needed me for his own reasons... and he didn't even think how that would make me feel, how could he? He doesn't know how hard I've fought off these feelings I have toward him to save him... and in the end, he needs me to save him by being with him.

I chuckled to myself dryly at the irony of the situation I had somehow managed to end up in regardless. I turned back around and faced Ominis and said to him in an emotionless tone that it even surprised me.

"You need me to save you from marrying Anise Goyle so you decided that the next best idea rather than confronting the situation head-on is to marry me..." I started saying before Ominis interrupt me in desperation

"Y/N you know if there was any other way to stop them from moving towards this union, I would have done so! I have already rebelled against their notions of following the dark arts and to no avail that did nothing. I came here to Hogwarts to become a Muggle Studies professor and that still didn't deter them from the notion of furthering the pure-blood line! Y/N please ... I'm begging you to help me." Ominis raked his fingers through his hair in desperation, ruining his perfectly styled hair as he stared at me in panic "Please... I don't want to be a Gaunt anymore..." Ominis slowly sank to the floor as small glistening lines fell down his face reflected by the fireplace.

I sighed and walked over to Ominis and kneeled in front of him, smiling softly I leaned over and grabbed his hand between my own and brought them to my chest as I tenderly whispered. "I Y/N will take you Ominis, as my dearly beloved husband. I promise to stand by your side and face the turmoils that may come our way head-on with you. I promise to be there for you whenever you need me and even when you think you don't need me. Because you will always need me... as I will need you Ominis."

I gently brought Ominis hand towards my face and placed his smooth hands on my cheek as I stared at him, seeing the shock that was placed on his face slowly be replaced by relief and joy. Ominis chuckled at my sudden vows as he removed his hand from mine and grasped my hand between his own as he cleared his throat before continuing.

"I Ominis will take you Y/N as my dearly beloved wife. I promise to always protect you, to be your present when you are overtaken by the despairs from the past. I promise to always be by your side as we go forward together in this so-called marriage with each other...," Ominis grinned at me we simultaneously laughed with each other, high on the glee that we gave each other.

"Well then," Ominis stood up and offered his arm towards me "Shall we go off and get married my lovely betrothed," my face instantly blew up as red as the embers that flickered in the room as he teased me with his words of sweet nothings. I swatted at his arm before looping mine through his "If you tease me with such words of endearment then we can call this engagement off," I scowled at Ominis as he howled at my dry humor.

At that moment ... I just knew... what I had always kept pushing away the idea of and considering the situation that we were in as I just stared at him. as he laughed in joy at just the idea of us marrying each other.

----------

"Well, that was simple," Ominis held my hand as we walked with each other to my house.

"A bit too simple quite honestly, I thought they were going to give us a more questioning look because we were getting married,"

"No, I think they might have considered us being married and didn't question it," Ominis grinned at me as I responded in silence as I walked alongside him. No, they didn't question it. Professor Weasley didn't even bat an eyelash along with Deek as they just smiled in glee while Professor Weasley just exclaimed it's about time you two! As we repeated our vows once again in the gazebo behind Hogwarts. It had pained me to think that it was something they had expected and yet we fooled them thinking it was real. I tilted my head and glanced at Ominis as we walked in glee towards my-our-home.

Did he think nothing of this union between us? Was it just a convenience for him? While I died inside as we said our vows, knowing that he probably didn't ever mean his as I truly meant mine?

I sighed, my head pounding as I began overthinking everything that had occurred just on my first week back at Hogwarts. My eyes then fluttered at our hands intertwined together as I thought back to our agreement we had written up before heading towards Professor Weasley to ask her to officiate our 'wedding'.

-------
" Let's say that us marrying works, how long would we stay married?"

"Until I know it's for certain that they won't come looking for me anymore, that is when we are more than free to end this ruse with each other,"

"- and if they don't believe it? Or worse, they still command you to marry her because of my blood status then what then?"

"We will find a way, if we have to confront them then we will, or at least enough so that we may disappear for a bit,"

"We?"

"Yes. I'm sorry Y/N to have wrapped you into this mess from my family but it is the only way,"

"No, it's fine. Let's just hope it won't get to that point. Now my real question is, will we keep your last name Gaunt, or... will you take mine?"

"Yours. I will take your lovely name and be yours until this pass,"

"Why must you say things like that? Be mine? Isn't that a bit much Ominis?"

A bit much for my heart as well...

"Y/N, we must act the part of being newlyweds. My parents, especially my father are not easily fooled. We must act married for this to work. Which is why as of tonight, we will begin to live with one another."

"WHAT! Ominis-"

"It will be okay; we will sleep in different rooms. Behind closed doors, we can act as we always had...friends."

--------

I opened the door to our house as Ominis slowly walked in observing the whole place as he set his suitcase down.

"Welcome home..." I trailed off in a joking manner as I walked to the center of the house, but I was taken by surprise by the tone Ominis took as he responded to me "I'm home my dear..." in a gentle whisper as he turned towards me and gave me the most breathtaking smile as his eyes melted into mine...such a beautiful soft hazy blue.

I love you.

I truly do.