Chapter 22: The Curtains Unfold

Ominis POV:

"The Hogwarts Express is just one small example of what the muggle world has been able to accomplish without the use of magic, and we've been gifted with the chance to use it every beginning of the school year with this muggle-made machinery." I leaned back to my upright position after resting my weight on the table behind me, shutting the muggle studies textbook in the process.

"Any questions?" my voice reverberated off the wall just a tad loud as the sound of closing textbooks and the rushed scratching of quills overtook the overwhelming silence from the students.

Silence, as usual.

"Class dismissed, do not forget of the exam that is to take place next week," I muttered towards the sound of heavy and feather-light footsteps that began shuffling out of the classroom. I rubbed the corner of my eyes from the lack of engagement the students continuously responded with for this course. Placing my hand on the back of my neck, I felt the ends of my hair beginning to curl at the nape and I habitually began smoothing it down until the small tendrils were back in the desired place. Grabbing onto the edge of the thick course desk that functioned more as a seat or a guide rather than a station for grading papers, I allowed it to lead me toward my tool of sight.

Gripping the worn hand of the wand I began walking towards the heavy door grunting softly as I pushed it open and was immediately flooded with the quarry of sounds from all directions of students chattering, painting yelling at students that passed by, and the light smell of apples and berries that students ate on the benches surrounding the classrooms.

Sebastian

His name abruptly floated into my mind, causing me to grasp the worn handle of my wand at the thought of an old friend, my best friend. The sounds of students jabbering over how complicated and cold Professor Sharp was as an instructor or over how Professor Binns always spat out useless facts caused them to rather spend a day with Headmasters Black than endure another class concerning the History of Magic. It was almost yesterday that all of us had discussed the same topics along with Weasley and Larson over the useless classes that seemed needless or if the Montrose Magpies were to win the National Championships once more at the end of the year.

Every sarcastic remark, every chuckle, every stern comment they were always directed towards him. He was everywhere with me, and then when she came along all three of us were together. If I had...if I had known that it would have been the last year where we were all laughing and happy with one another I would have savored the moments more than the memories I still tried to grasp trying to remember the times that we had where we weren't running after Sebastian. Trying to fight his inner demons with him, pleading with him to gain control of his emotions that were being affected, that he was being consumed by the single thought that only caused him to unravel into despair until it was too late, we were too late.

To save him.

I extended my wand into the bustling hallways, leading me out to the set of rough heavy doors, past the fountain that always flowed during every season, past the students laughing at the Hufflepuff that made a hard thud from falling off his broom from what seems wasn't truly the first time, past the painful memories and towards the new ones I craved to make with her.

______________________________________________

"Omi!" a distant voice yelled in my direction as I treaded up the soft grass passing Garett's shop.  I continued towards my destination, ignoring the sound of my name, as only the longing for her touch occupied the empty spaces of my mind.

Every evening after classes wrapped up for the day, I rushed home and walked through the door, immediately hearing her chair scrape along the floor as she came up to greet me, making my heart tighten and stretch in such a pleasing pain. She grasped my hand almost immediately as she weaved her interlocking fingers between my own as she guided me towards the table, to the seat right beside hers. She knew I never needed the extra assistance just for the lack of one of my senses, with anyone else I would have cursed them to never approach me because of the pity they felt for me.