Chapter 16: Family Reunion

A week had passed since our union.

It had also been a grueling 164 hours and 51 minutes where I had repeatedly relived the same damn kiss. Every time I tried to greet you all I heard was a slight peep as you scurried the other way.

It was foolish of me to believe that things would have been any different, especially after the small moment we shared as we returned to your residence. I brushed the smooth onyx stone etched with an assortment of shapes. My fingers tenderly traced the triangle, the circle, and the single line that ran through the middle before I released the ring from my grasp. 

I slowly lifted myself up, letting my feet dangle off the edge of the bed, with the memories resurfacing once more from the week prior where my greatest dream and utter fears collided.
-----

"This ring is your aunt's Ominis. I can't have this. It's special for when you truly marry someone." You held your hands behind your back as you timidly stepped closer to the safety of our new home.

"I have married someone, and that is you." I gazed in your direction as I grasped your wrists which felt fragile underneath my hands as you slowly unclenched the hands that hid behind your back.

Leaning down, I whispered into your ear  "Y/N, we are married. That won't change soon. So please, can you do me the honor of wearing this ring?"

You slowly unraveled your left hand as I smiled softly and took it into my own. Lifting it up, I searched for the finger next to the middle and last and gingerly slid it on. It was big on your delicate finger.

"My hands are a bit small..." you whispered.

"No, they're perfect. Small hands that have been through so much. They have fought so much and suffered more than they should have. They are painted with calluses from gripping a wand for protection but still just as soft beneath my touch." I glanced in your direction and mumbled to your hand.

"Reducio."

"There! A perfect fit," I grinned as I released it, and began making our way home.

"Wait! What about your ring?"

"Mine?"

"Don't you have to wear one too?"

I pulled out the ring that was buried deep in my pocket. It had apparated on my dining table a few weeks prior when I was to wed Goyle.. around the same time, I had received the dreaded letter.

I grasped your hand and turned it as I placed the ring in your palm.

"Here is my ring."

"This is... it's stunning Ominis."

"This is an old ring passed down in the House of Gaunts for centuries. My father had it, my grandfather before, and so forth."

"Why don't your other brothers have it?"

"They're not married."

"Then why are they forcing you to get married?"

I grasped your palm tighter at the thought of them. They would go to any lengths to make me listen to them, to become one of them. Despite the pain and the reality of the inimical position we found ourselves in, I kept my composure and maintained a steady tone of voice as I explained to you.

"They wanted me gone. Away from them. So, they decided to marry me off to well-known purebloods." I sighed and ran my thumb over your small wrist "I'm sorry I roped you into this mess..."

"...I would do it a thousand more times if it meant saving you." 

I lifted my head and felt a rush of warmth on my right cheek, which caught me by surprise. I immediately cuffed my cheek, only to find your hand resting there, caressing my face as your thumb made subtle strokes along my skin. I stared in your general direction captivated by your gentle grasp where in your wake, intense prickles burned from your soothing touch.

Why.

Why do you make this so hard.

I gently stroked your hand with my fingers as you shuddered softly. My hand traveled down your arm, up your shoulder, and across your delicate clavicle until I gently caressed your neck, feeling the small intakes of breath as my hand rested subtly over your cheek. I gingerly brushed my thumb, only to be met with skin until I felt it. The thing that ignited me every time you spoke, breathed and felt them between my lips. Touching them only sparked the memory of us fighting for air, but neither of us wanted to detangle our limbs from each other's embrace.

If this was our honeymoon as marriage generally entailed, we wouldn't be standing outside your house. I would have begun exploring every crevice of your frame with my tongue. My lips would be buried in your neck feeling your pulse fall into the rhythm of my kiss as I'd grasp you and pull you closer to me. Only for you to arch yourself in response and allowed those intoxicating sounds below deep from your -

I cleared my throat and covered my mouth with the back of my hand that had touched your lips and sparked the fervor hunger that grew below my stomach.

"You asked about my ring, I suppose we should put it on to complete the union"

You nodded your head and grasped my hand with such a feather-light touch as you timidly slid on the ring.

"Till death..." you murmured under your breath.

"...Do we part."