38

This whole thing had changed him.

Drea taking actual action which had opened his eyes, and he didn't want her to feel the need to do that again.

Antonio had much time to evaluate and self-reflect and he planned on fixing a lot of things in their marriage.

Starting with his own behavior.

Antonio seemed too ecstatic and relieved to have me back in his hold to even really be mad

I was expecting to be slaughtered by now or worse, permanently disfigured. Lord knows he's threatened me with that countless times if I ever went as far as to even dream of leaving him. I thought my legs would be chopped off right now and I would be subjected to being wheelchair bound.

But that time never came.

And as much as I was grateful the feeling of relief was oddly eerie.

It's as if he hasn't processed our reunion. The corners of his lips have been upturned since we had sex just minutes ago. A slight grin graced his face as his eyes never left me drinking in my appearance like if he looked away for a mere second I would be gone once again.

The love we had made was different. I had expected it to be almost like a punishment like it always was. Angry, unforgiving, and borderline hateful. But this time he was gentle. A word I have yet to ever associate with a rugged man such as Antonio. He took his time with me in a way and I have never felt so good.

His lips never left my body as if he was committing my entire upper half to memory on his lips. His movements were surreal and made me feel like I was drowning in a haze of pleasure. It was like heaven on earth with how softly he worshipped my body.

It was certainly a shocker for me as I had expected much worse. I expected to be dead right now after hours of inhumane torture. It was terrifying how well he was treating me. Like he thought it was his last chance to do right by me.

Or... like he had something particularly dark up his sleeve and was waiting for things to settle down and put me under the guise that everything was peachy.

After all, revenge is a dish best-served cold.

Antonio squeezed my hand gently as he croaked out his next words like he was on the verge of tears, but I knew a man like Antonio could never cry. "God, I love you tesoro."

I blinked at him a few times.

Silence followed after his confession as I didn't return the phrase.

saying "I love you" back was always like muscle memory to me but I somehow struggled to say it.

Didn't I love him? Shouldn't I love him?

That's why I'm back. That's why I jeopardized my whole plan and risked my life to return to my safe haven and hell all at once. There was some part of me that still felt something for him.