Just Before I Go...

Angst ahead...

I sit calmly by your bedside, holding your hand as you take drew in your last breaths. The room is quiet, except for the sound of the machines that are struggling to keep you alive. I can see that you're struggling to breathe, and it breaks my heart to see you like this.

You've been my rock, my partner, and my best friend for so many years. I can't imagine a life without you by my side. But now, as I watch you slowly slip away, I know that I have to be strong for you. For us.

I lean in closer to you and whisper, "I'm here, Y/N. You're not alone."

You turn your head towards me, and I can see the pain in the window of your soul. You're fighting so hard, but I know that you're exhausted. You've been battling cancer for so long, and it's taken its toll on your body.

You squeeze my hand weakly, and I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes. I try to hold them back, but it's no use. I let out a sob, and you turn your gaze towards me.

"Stevie," you say, your voice barely a whisper. "I want to hear you sing one last time."

My heart breaks at your words. You know that I've always been nervous about singing in front of you, but I can't deny you this final request.

I take a deep breath and begin to sing softly, my voice barely above a whisper. I sing "Landslide," a song that you've always loved.

"I took my love, I took it down
I climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Till the landslide brought me down"

As I sing, I feel the weight of everything that we've gone through together. The highs and the lows, the joy and the pain. I can feel your hand growing weaker in mine, and I know that your time is running out.

But still, I sing.

"Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Well, I've been afraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you"

I sing until my voice is hoarse, until I can no longer hold back the tears that have been building up for so long. And then, as I finish the song, I feel your hand go limp in mine.

I lean in closer to you, tears streaming down my face. "I love you, Y/N," I whisper. "Always and forever."

As I sit there, holding your hand, I can feel the weight of your absence settling over me. I know that life will never be the same without you, but I also know that you'll always be with me in spirit.

Rest in peace, my love.