Golden Eyes

Adalia

"Climb on board, we'll go slow and high tempo, light and dark, hold me hard and mellow"

I sang to the music playing in my car really loudly while enjoying the night air.

Today had been a nice day, I went to go visit my friend in New York whom I hadn't seen in a long time and was now currently on my way home.

I cranked the music higher and sang along to my favorite verse, "So we'll piss off the neighbors, in the place that feels the tears, The place to lose your fears, yea reckless behavior..."

While grooving to the song, I failed to notice that the car in front of me had stopped.

My tires screeched as I hit the brake so hard my entire body jerked forward.

What the heck, ugh. This highway barely ever has traffic so why the hell are the cars not moving?

'Accident reported on the road ahead'. My GPS chimed in as if to answer my question. Great, a major accident is what I needed on my way home. It also looked like it was about to rain.

I had work tomorrow at nine a.m and it was already ten p.m going to eleven. This was annoying.

'Take an alternate route to avoid traffic delays'. My GPS said again, directing me to take the nearest exit. I looked up at the sign in front of me and sighed in relief when the exit was just a few feet away from me.

I angled my car out a bit and drove to the exit when there were no incoming cars.

The alternate route was a rural and quiet city, and it looked like where people with loaded wallets resided. Soon, I'll have a house just like one of these, and best believe it would be magnificent. I was an interior designer after all.

The streets were dark and poorly lit, so I put my high beams on and slowed down a bit.

I don't think this type of city was where crimes happened, but just to be on the safer side I rolled my window up and left a little crack so I could still enjoy the night air.

It's been about fifteen minutes of driving, and it didn't look like my GPS was going to take me to the highway anytime soon. Instead, the more I drove, the fewer houses I saw and the more trees came into view.

Where the heck am I?

I increased the volume of the music just a little more to drown out my nerves. I wasn't scared of the dark or anything, but something about this place just gave me an eerie feeling.

I kept singing to my music, trying to raise my mood once again

'Be in the bed all day, bed all day, bed all day. Fuckin' and fightin' on. It's our paradise and it's our war zone...'

I gotta say, this song, "Pillowtalk", was really good. No matter how many times I listen to it, it doesn't get old.

Just then, a howl ripped through the night sky and I shivered.

What the fuck. Was that a wolf? This is unheard of.

I mean sure, I lived in New Jersey and it was more forest than houses, but a wolf in this part? That's ridiculous.

As if to mock my doubts, another howl rang, and this time it sounded like more than one wolves.

Adding more gas to my pedal, I scrolled through my GPS to see how long it would take me to merge back into the highway, or if there was another route.

I'd very much not like to run into a wolf.

According to what I saw on the screen, I should start seeing the highway in about five minutes. That's good, I could make it.