A Long Morning

Adalia

"... Adalia... did you...?" Someone's voice was drifting in and out of my ears. I could hear the words, but couldn't fully comprehend what the person was saying.

"Adalia! Did you hear me?" A loud voice, along with the vigorous shaking of my shoulders, snapped me out of my daze.

I returned my attention to the pale-skinned brunette in front of me, with almond-brown eyes full of concern. Oh, it's Addy. Blinking, I looked around my surroundings in a stupor. I was already sitting at my computer desk. I don't even recall getting to work; the whole drive from Zayn's office to here was a daze. It's like my body was on autopilot while my mind drifted.

"Hellooo?" Addy snapped her fingers in front of me.

"I'm sorry, what?" I questioned, still feeling disoriented.

"I said," Addy enunciated her words like it would help me hear better, "Did you see Zayn? And how was it?"

My heart tightened at the mention of Zayn, and my face must have reflected my feelings because Addy's expression also changed.

"It didn't go well, did it?" Her voice was solemn.

"No, it didn't," I bit my lips, "in fact, I didn't even get to see him. They said he flew out of the country today, and don't know when he'll be back."

"What?!" she exclaimed, "And he didn't tell you a word? What a dickhead."

"Addy, stop—"

"No, don't tell me to stop. I'm right!"

I shook my head, trying to convince myself to deny Addy's logic. "No, Addy, he doesn't owe me anything. We weren't even dating, and he might just be busy with work."

"Too busy to send at least a short text? Bullshit! Stop being delusional, Adalia. The faster you accept it, the faster you can move on," her voice lowered as she stepped closer to me, taking my hand. "I just don't want you to get hurt over some guy. Yes, he's unbearably hot and was respectful of you in the few times I saw him, but you can't let yourself get treated like this. You deserve more."

I smiled and gave Addy a warm hug. She may be crude and merciless with her words, but it's just a sign that she has my interest at heart.

"I'll try to stop thinking about him," I said, knowing it was damn well impossible.

Addy stared at me for a bit before sighing. "By the way, I think you weren't being delusional about Luke after all. I've noticed his behavior towards you lately and it's definitely weird."

"Oh, yeah?" I replied sarcastically.

"I know I was mocking you before, but I'm being serious. The day you skipped work, he was all over me, asking for you and your whereabouts before he left work abruptly. Then you tell me later that he showed up at your date. It's really weird."

"Right. It was weird when he showed up out of nowhere."

"Uh huh, not to mention the fact that he's been staring at you unblinkingly ever since you walked in."

"What?" I whipped my head around, only to clash with Luke's gaze. I hadn't even sensed his presence. Usually, when Luke was around, I get this buzzing sensation, or I get sporadic whiffs of his smell. But he had been here all this while, and I didn't even notice him.

Luke and I were locked in each other's stares for a while until I broke contact first. I turned back to speak to Addy, but she was gone. She was now by the coffee machine. She soon returned with two steaming cups of coffee and placed one on my desk.