Chapter 1: Destination

Gabriella "Gabby" Ashbury, Layla Hardwick, and Kacie Collins grew up together in Sparksville, West Virginia. They went to preschool, elementary, high, and college together. They were more sisters than best friends. None of them had boyfriends and were ready for summer vacation. None of them had ever been anywhere too far, and they knew it was time. The issue was where they would go. The girls, now twenty-three years old, realized their lives would change. Soon, they would each be starting life doing their own thing, beginning careers, meeting a guy, getting married, and having kids. This trip would be what was their last goodbye before real life began. Only graduated from college for a year, they worked locally in town as waitresses at the same restaurant. They had saved all year for this trip, and now it was time to decide.

"I want to go to New York," Layla said as she annoyingly painted her nails and chewed bubble gum.

"New York? I mean, that sounds cool and all, but I don't know. I am thinking beach." Gabby said as she put her makeup on.

"Yeah, the beach sounds so nice. Myrtle?" Kacie asked as she brushed her hair.

"Girls, it's summer. We are smart; we can make a decision. This isn't hard." Gabby laughed.

"So, let's narrow it down. New York, Myrtle Beach, and--?" Gabby said.

The girls all sat on Layla's bed, trying to decide. All of the girls still lived at home with their parents. Gabby's parents were recently separated. She was living with her mom.

"What's your pick, Gabby?" Kacie asked impatiently.

Gabby picked up her phone and typed and looked up "Best Summer Vacation Places."

She looked down the list, and then she squealed.

"I got it! I got it! Girls, y'all are gonna wanna go here!" She jumped up and down.

"Ok, where? Where?" Kacie and Layla asked.

"New Orleans, Louisiana." Gabby looked up from her phone and smiled widely.

"New Orleans? I didn't even think of New Orleans!" Kacie jumped up and started jumping up and down with Gabby.

"I hear it is a lot of fun and so different from anywhere else. It's like a whole other world down there." Layla added.

"So, are we goin' or what?" Gabby asked with a wince.

"New Orleans!" Kacie squealed.

"New Orleans, here we come!" Layla added.

The girls jumped up and down again and began planning their summer trip of a lifetime.