Chapter 32: Voices

Being there with Desmond felt like a dream. Gabby felt like she was out of her body and watching everything. She couldn't believe he was there. All this wasn't making sense, but she would discover what was happening and what she had missed.

"I'm glad you made it home okay." Desmond began making only small talk.

"Yeah, it was rough, but I'm here." She responded nervously.

"Yes, you are." He said, laughing slightly.

Gabby couldn't be sure, but he seemed to have been drinking. She didn't know what Desmond was like when he drank, but she knew how people behaved when they did. This was one of those times.

I am about to explode with questions; he needs to start talking.

"It would be dumb to spend this time chit-chatting over irrelevant subjects." Desmond finally said.

"I think so. Doesn't matter much." Gabby agreed.

It was quiet for a few more moments. Desmond stood, strolled to the edge of the deck railing, and leaned on it for support. The only lights that shone were the small ones that lined the deck.

"Gab, I am sorry about what happened," Desmond said in a low tone.

Gabby stood and walked over to join him, suddenly not feeling her nerves get the best of her. She stood close, but not too close.

"It's okay. I guess I acted like a child by not listening to you. I am sorry for that." Gabby responded.

She hated that she looked the way she did. Her hair was messy, and she wore a loose summer dress. She had been sweating from being outdoors all day. This was the first time she had been bare-faced since she met him. Every other time they were together, she was fixed up. She was glad it was dark, and little light shone on her. Then again, she wondered if he cared about all of that. Something inside told her he didn't.

"Can we talk like we used to? I need that." Desmond looked over at her and searched her eyes carefully.

"I would like that." Gabby smiled.

"You know nothing happened between Madeline and me. She caught me off guard, and you walked in-talk about your bad timing." Desmond laughed slightly.

"You didn't kiss her back? You didn't want to?" Gabby asked the question she wanted the answer to.

"No, of course not. It has been over between us. She came back with some plan to get me back, which enraged her when she saw us together. I told you, she's a viper. She even went as far as telling my family I tried to make moves on her. My mother kicked her out of our house and said she wouldn't have a liar in her house. She made her way back to Baton Rouge fast. She doesn't want that mess. Madeline has her issues, but she still deserves to be loved, but not by me. It was never me." Desmond explained, carefully speaking.

I'm such a fool.

"Wow, that's a lot. Sorry, I missed your mom kicking her out. I joke, but it is sad. I should have listened to you. I have grown so used to getting my heart stomped on I just reacted. I used the excuse that we barely knew each other as justification to push you away. I was almost ready to wash my hands of it." Gabby began.

"Almost?" Desmond asked, catching that one word.

"Are we bein' honest right now?" Gabby finally let her guard down.

"That would be nice." Desmond laughed, not looking at her.

"I wanted you to call me or at least text me even though I gave you the impression I was done, but you didn't until yesterday." She went on.