Chapter 35: Perfect Timing

The girls locked up the house, left Lake Shady Cove, and drove back to Sparksville. They couldn't go to New Orleans wearing the clothes they packed for the Lake. The next flight to New Orleans was at two o'clock. She knew now what Desmond must have gone through trying to surprise her. What she still didn't know was he was going to propose. Kacie, Layla, Jefferson, and Collin decided it wasn't their place to say anything.

"I have to text Jefferson and Collin," Layla said, pulling her phone out.

"Hey! Don't react because we know y'all are with Desmond. We are flying to New Orleans on the two o'clock flight." Layla said.

Jefferson and Collin were playing cards when their phones simultaneously dinged. Desmond still had Airpods in his ears, so he heard nothing. The guys looked at their phones and each other. Their eyes widened, and they tried to contain their excitement.

"For real? What's up?" Jefferson asked.

"Gabby called it off with Shane. She's comin' after Desmond." Layla joked.

Desmond looked over at the guys who were trying to play it cool. It was difficult not to say anything, and talking about it on a jet was impossible.

"Let me and Collin pay for the plane tickets." Jefferson offered.

"Aww, Jefferson and Collin offered to pay for our tickets." Layla smiled.

"Seriously? That would be nice. I was going to put my ticket on my credit card." Kacie joked.

"Okay, thank you so much," Layla told Jefferson.

"No problem. We will be at the airport to pick you guys up. Don't worry." Jefferson assured.

"Y'all are too sweet. That means so much." Layla responded.

Desmond looked over at the guys talking in low voices, almost whispering.

"What are you dorks talking about?" Desmond asked, removing his AirPods from his ears.

"Oh, nothing, man. Just making plans for night. You game?" Collin asked.

"I'm good. I'm going to chill at my house after seeing my family. I am finally going to move in." Desmond responded, replacing his Airpods.

To prevent Desmond from hearing, Jefferson texted Collin back and forth.

"I am thinking about asking Layla out on a date. Dinner, maybe?" Collin asked.

"Good idea. I want to take Kacie out, too. We haven't been out yet." Jefferson replied.

"Sounds like a plan. With all this drama going on, we haven't been able to. I like going out on group dates but I want to get to know Layla. We will have a chance for at least a few days with them unexpectedly returning to New Orleans." Collin went on.

"True. I wouldn't mind if they moved to New Orleans, honestly." Jefferson added.

"If all goes well, they probably will. They love Gabby enough to follow her anywhere. That's loyalty. Look at Des, man. He has no idea what is about to go down. I can't wait." Collin joked.

"We at least know where Desmond is going to be tonight. Perfect. Gabby can take my car to Desmond's after she gets off the plane. He should be there all night." Jefferson said, looking up to see Desmond watching them, rolling his eyes and staring out the window again.

Gabby came home to find her mom and dad in the living room, watching T.V. She was surprised to see them, and they seemed so calm seeing her.

"Hey Gab, how was your time away alone this weekend? Feel better?" Irene asked.