Chapter 14: The Talk

Irene walked inside the local Italian restaurant in Sparksville. She was to meet Stanley there to talk. Irene was nervous to see her husband. They hadn't spoken for months, nor had they seen each other. She was a bit surprised when he texted and asked if they could meet to talk. She loved her husband and missed him. Gabby wasn't exactly happy with how her dad handled things but tried remaining neutral. She was the only child now. She was all they had left. Irene prayed this was the beginning of their healing over the death of Briar.

Stanley was sitting at a table in the rear of the restaurant. Irene spotted him as he waved to her subtly. She walked to the table nervously. They had been married for thirty years, but seeing him for the first time in months made him feel more like a stranger than her husband of three decades. She wondered momentarily how that happened?

"Hi, Irene," Stanley said as she sat after her.

"Hello, Stanley. You look well." She said formally.

"You do, too." He complimented her back.

There was a long pause, almost too long.

"How is Gabby?" He asked, genuinely concerned.

"She's good. She has texted me a few times from New Orleans. She and the girls are havin' fun. She said she met a guy named Desmond. Turns out he is part of some wealthy family there. She sounds so happy. I am so glad she is." Irene lit up.

"Well, our Gabby is smart, beautiful, and any guy, rich or poor, would love her." He smiled.

"It's a little strange knowing his family is wealthy. She told me they own hotels. Hotel Bellefontaine." Irene recalled.

"We may never see our baby again, huh?" Stanley said sarcastically.

"Oh, I think she knows her way back. Gabby isn't impulsive, except for her taking this trip. That was a first." Irene said.

"She's young and has a good head on her shoulders. She will be alright." Stanley reassured.

The waiter came and took their order and left them with glasses of water.

"Irene, I wanted to meet you because I think I am finally ready to talk," Stanley said directly.

"Yeah?" Irene asked.

"I want to first tell ya how sorry I am. I shouldn't have left you and Gabby. I was just so torn up, and I didn't want to be anywhere near y'all." Stanley looked down.

"Stanley, we are a family. When we lost Briar, it hit us all hard. None of us could have expected this. But we can't let this tear us apart. Don't feel responsible for any of it. I stopped feeling that way because no matter what, it won't bring her back to us. Briar made a choice. She chose to drink more than ever before, and she did something stupid. We lost her because of it. But we can't blame alcohol for her death. It was an accident." Irene opened up gently.

"I don't blame the booze, Irene. But I am so mad at her. Does that make sense? I am mad because our baby is lying in a grave and not livin' her life. She had a good man, a future husband, a big career, and plans for her life. It isn't fair." Stanley began tearing up.

"Listen, we lost Briar physically. But she is always with us. We can remember all of the good times we had with her. We have pictures and home movies of her. We have Gabriella. We can't forget about her. I don't want to push her away for good." Irene wiped a tear.

"Me neither. I love her. I love you, too 'Rene." Stanley took her hand across the table.

"Stanley, you are a great father. You have been a good husband. Gabby and I need ya. We have a daughter who is young and has her future ahead of her. Briar wouldn't want us like this. She would be fightin' mad if she saw us right now." Irene joked.

"Yeah, that's Briar. She was feisty, alright." Stanley chuckled softly.

"Stanley, we can get through this. Let's get back into the church. Let's do what we do best. We have to let God handle this." Irene smiled.

Stanley sat there trying to contain his tears.

"Irene, you are my one true love. I can't do this without you and Gabby. I certainly need God." He smiled.

"Come home." Irene pleaded.

Stanley pondered her words and began to cry there in the restaurant. Irene rose from her seat and sat in the chair next to him. She pulled her husband close and rocked him as he wept. He didn't care that people could see him. He was done with being prideful.

"Shhh, it's ok," Irene reassured.

"I want to come home." Stanley finally said, voice broken.

"Then you're home," Irene said without hesitation.