Chapter 11: Time Well Spent

While Gabby was browsing the shop, the girls watched Shane walk down the street with a group of other men. They watched him as he laughed and joked with the others.

"Why would he be here?" Kacie asked.

"Maybe for the same reason we're here," Layla answered.

Gabby walked out of the store, unaware of what was happening. Layla and Kacie played it cool and hushed their conversation immediately.

"I didn't find anything else in there. I'm gonna stick with the model truck I bought online. I didnt want to just get him that though." Gabby said, disappointed.

"Hey, let's walk down this way and see what we can find," Kacie said as she looked at Layla.

"Yeah, let's go this way." Layla winked at Kacie.

"Y'all are actin' weird. Gabby looked at them and shook her head as she began walking away.

They began walking down the street when Gabby's phone dinged. She pulled it out and smiled ear to ear.

"It's Desmond." She stopped walking to read the text.

"Hey, girl, I hope you're having a good day. Wanna hang out later?"

"Yes! Sounds like fun!" She typed quickly with a wide smile.

"Great! I will swing by a 7 p.m. to get you."

"Someone is going out tonight." Kacie laughed.

"I feel so bad y'all. I hate to leave you again." Gabby said with her lip stuck out.

"We're fine. We are going to order take-out and watch a movie. I'm tired anyway." Layla said as she yawned.

"Seriously? You're not just bein' nice about this?" Gabby asked.

"For real, girl. We are dead on our feet." Kacie responded.

"Well, okay. If y'all are good, then." Gabby nodded.

"I wish I had a new dress or something. I know it sounds vain. Can we stop by this boutique and see what they have?" Gabby asked.

"Let's go!" Kacie said.

The girls walked inside, and the dresses were so pretty. Gabby wanted one of each. She opted for a simple peach chiffon maxi open shoulder maxi dress., She had white sandals that would match perfectly.

"I am going to spend all of my money on clothes and not much on anything else." Gabby laughed as she paid for the dress.

"Desmond has your back, I'm sure." Layla laughed.

"I would never ask him for anything," Gabby said sternly.

They took an Uber back to their room, and Gabby got ready quickly. It was almost 6 p.m. She wanted to look perfect. Desmond didn't tell her where they were going, but that is what she loved about him. He was the master of surprises. She was sure that tonight wouldn't be anything but perfect.

"Gab, your mom called while you were in the shower. You might wanna call her back before you go out. She sounded pretty upset." Kacie said.

"Really? What did she say?" Gabby asked as she brushed her wet hair.

"Nothin' much. Just wanted you to call her." Kacie responded.

Gabby decided to call her before she left for the evening.

"Mom, what's up?"

"Hi, Gabby. I just wanted to hear your voice. I sure do miss you. Are you stayin' safe down there? Making new friends?"