Chapter 13: City Love

"Good morning, ladies. Sorry, I overslept." Gabby said as she sat down at the table.

"We're on vacation; the word overslept doesn't apply." Kacie joked as she sipped orange juice.

Gabby took a long sip of coffee and stretched a bit. The breakfast at Hotel Bellefontaine was terrific. This was different from your typical continental breakfast. Anything you wanted, they had it to offer. Pancakes, waffles, eggs any way you'd like them cooked, bacon, sausage, grits, fresh fruit, a variety of coffees, tea, biscuits, fancy jams, and jellies, all made to order by a staff that was professional and trained. Desmond's dad made sure his guests were well taken care of. Gabby read over the dinner menu, and it was equally as impressive. A separate dining room was up there with any five-star restaurant in New Orleans. They were famous for their food. She wondered if Desmond would come here to have dinner with her or if other places in the city were more his idea. He probably had eaten there so many times that it wasn't fascinating to him anymore.

"What time did y'all come in last night? Did y'all have fun with Jefferson and Collin?" Gabby asked.

"Girl, it was so much fun. We got in around one o'clock. We are going out again today. Are you good?" Layla smiled.

"Oh, yeah. Desmond will be here later-sometime after breakfast. I honestly want to sleep." Gabby said through a yawn.

"You said something last night at the party about talkin' to us. Don't think we have forgotten." Kacie joked.

"I haven't forgotten," Gabby responded.

Gabby knew the girls wouldn't understand her decision, but she prayed they would support her no matter what.

"I met Madeline." Gabby started.

"Oh, no, you did not!" Layla exclaimed.

"Yep, I did. It was awkward. Y'all, she could be Miss USA, not even kiddin'." Gabby said, deflated.

"Wait, was she the girl in the red dress that walked around like she owned the place?" Kacie asked.

"That would be her. I don't know what to think, honestly. Desmond wasn't happy to see her, and he was even rude to her. She wasn't making it easy for him to be friendly, even though he did try." Gabby started sipping coffee.

"That girl looks like trouble. What do you know about their relationship?" Layla asked as she leaned in.

"Not too much. He told me about her early on, just as I had told him about Shane. We got our past relationships out of the way. I know they have known each other since they were kids, their families are close, they dated, Desmond decided he wanted to be the guy he is today, she disapproved of it, so they split." Gabby explained.

"Why do I feel like there is something more to this?" Kacie asked with a side-eye.

"More?" Gabby asked.

"Yeah, she wouldn't just come to Desmond's birthday party if they broke up and she moved away. He broke up with her, not the other way around. Something is off." Kacie went on.

"Desmond is over her. He keeps telling me how vicious she is, and now I see it for myself. Y'all should have seen her. She was so intrusive and made me look like a speck. I found out right away that I was the dirt on her shoes. I am not worried about her. She's leaving today and going back to Baton Rouge. His mom invited her, so I can't be mad at Desmond. He handled himself well." Gabby smiled.

"So, is this what you wanted to tell us?" Layla asked inquisitively.

"No, not exactly." Gabby took another sip of her coffee, carefully set the cup down, and took a deep breath.