Chapter 6: Third Time's A Charm

Sleep didn't come easy for Gabby that night. She tried shutting down and telling her head and heart to rest, for heaven's sake, but she couldn't. This wasn't happening; it couldn't be happening. This was the worst possible timing in the history of the world. There wasn't anything she could do to convince herself that there was something about Desmond that she couldn't deny was strange and mysterious. He was not the run-of-the-mill guy that walked around Bourbon Street at night.

She spent most of the night trying to put the pieces of the puzzle she did have together. He was at Old Absinthe, alone, the first night they were there. That is a bar. She didn't see him before the altercation between Desmond and the pushy guy that tried to buy her a drink, so she couldn't be sure if he were drinking. The next day, he was reading a book at the coffee shop again. Then she sees him at Bayona that evening but with others eventually. He dressed like every other young guy these days the first couple of meetings, but at dinner, he dressed like he was important. That smell of his cologne and his suit and watch were dead giveaways; there was more to him than what she was seeing. But what was it? Why did she care so much? She was going home soon. Her time in New Orleans will become nothing more than memories and photos. But what she did know was she couldn't let herself fall back into the same trap as she had before.

Gabby knows she is a hopeless romantic. She hated to admit that to herself, but she also knew that the girl doesn't always get the guy of her dreams. If fairytales were real, would she find her prince at the end? It all seemed so cheesy and cliché, but love did exist. She just wasn't ready to put herself out there so quickly.

After tossing and turning for hours, Gabby decided to forgo sleep. She knew she would feel the effects but couldn't shut down later in the day. The sun was beginning to peek through the curtains. Layla and Kacie were sound asleep. Gabby decided to take an early morning walk. She was in a safe neighborhood and had learned the area enough to get around. She put on a pair of athletic shorts, a workout tank, and her tennis shoes. She put her hair in a high ponytail and grabbed her phone and sunglasses. The note she left the girls told them she had gone for a walk and would be back soon. Text or call when you get this.

The early morning heat hit her face as she exited their bed and breakfast. The streets were empty, and it was quiet. She stood there momentarily, taking in the sights, sounds, and smells. She smiled as she felt her heart fill with happiness. She began walking down the street and took quick snapshots of large oak trees, animals, the sky, buildings, and the road. She couldn't get enough of the surroundings. For the first time in a while, she felt close to God. She felt peace. At that moment, she had forgotten she was supposed to let her mom know she made it. She had yet to text her or call. Gabby wanted to be angry but decided against it and texted her mom instead.

"Hi, Mom. Sorry, I didn't text or call earlier. I am fine. Kacie and Layla are good, too. We are safe and having fun. Talk to you soon. ❤"

As she sent the text, she hoped that things between her parents were changing for the better. Being in New Orleans and miles away from home helped her clear her mind. She felt guilty wanting this time alone without Kacie and Layla, but she felt so many emotions. She needed some space to sort them all out. Then out of the blue, Desmond crossed her mind. All the questions about him that kept her awake all night flooded back quickly. As she continued to walk around the neighborhood, she watched people emerging from their homes. Some grabbed the newspaper from their front yard; some dressed and walked their dogs or went for their morning jog. Others were getting into their cars and driving to work or somewhere else they needed to get to early. Everyone was friendly and waved and smiled as she strolled by.

She remembered she had yet to have coffee an hour into her walk. She left too early and decided to grab some at the coffee shop she and the girls had been to earlier. People were slowly trickling in. Most were taking their orders to go; some sat in the shop reading newspapers on their phones or laptops. Others were sitting, just talking and enjoying the sunny day just outside.