Chapter 17: Rivalry

"I'm exhausted. I am ready to close my eyes. I don't want to take another step." Kacie said as she took her shoes off and plopped on the bed.

"Same. I am so tired." Gabby agreed, changing into her pajamas.

"I don't feel like changing my clothes; I'm so tired. I'm gonna need a vacation after this vacation." Layla joked as she put her head on a pillow.

"Gabby won't need a recovery vacation. She's gonna be back here and livin' large." Kacie joked.

Gabby threw a pillow at her and laughed.

"Whatever! I am going to work! I didn't spend all of that time in school for nothin'." She defended.

"Not if you and Mr. Bugatti get hitched." Layla pointed to her left ring finger.

"That hasn't even been brought up. Y'all, it's only been a little over a week. Slow down." Gabby rolled her eyes.

"But you can't deny that y'all are headed quickly in that direction." Kacie directed.

"I mean, if it is meant to be, we will, but right now, we are just havin' fun and gettin' to know each other. We are doin' our best to be different in this relationship." Gabby smiled.

"So, what about Madeline? Does she intimidate you?" Layla asked groggily.

"She likes to assert herself, that's for sure. I don't think she is after Desmond. She probably has guys lined up in Baton Rouge waiting on her. She seems like the type. I can't deny that they have a history, but he seems truly burned by her. I think he is glad she doesn't live in New Orleans." Gabby said.

"You don't think there is a slight chance she could have ulterior motives?" Kacie asked.

"If she does, I think Desmond will see through it and do what is right," Gabby answered.

"What if he decides he wants her and not you?" Kacie went on.

"Then he chooses. Who am I to persuade him any differently? Again, we have only known each other for a week. That fails compared to the years they spent together, regardless of how it ended. It will hurt because I love Desmond but don't want to manipulate him. I won't be her; I will be true to myself." Gabby explained.

"You say that, but Gab, you wouldn't like to be broken again," Layla added.

"Okay, let's stop with the worst-case scenarios, shall we?" Gabby shook her head.

Kacie moved over to Gabby and hugged her tightly.

"I'm sorry. We are just concerned. With Madeline bein' here, it creates some tension. Jefferson and Collin say she is a bully, and every other woman is beneath her. She considers herself "God's gift to men." Kacie said.

"No doubt about that. But to answer your question, seriously. I am intimidated. I can't compete with that. I don't have that sort of power. Madeline isn't one to give up easily on anything; it doesn't take a genius to see that. But Desmond can hold his own; he has had to do it for so long." Gabby admitted.

"You are perfect for Desmond. We all agree. Jefferson and Collin say they haven't seen him this relaxed and incredibly happy. They were worried about him." Layla added.

"Kind of like y'all were worried about me?" Gabby winced.

"Exactly." Kacie smiled in agreeance.

"Y'all are the best." Gabby smiled as she turned the light off, and they all slept.

"Good morning, Josse," Norbert said as Josse entered the dining room to find a seat at the large table. The rest of the family was there.

"Good morning, grandfather." Josse smiled as he poured coffee.