Chapter 42: Unfinished Business

Gabby drove back to Desmond's house just after sunrise. She was tired and knew it would be difficult to get through the day with the bit of sleep she had managed to get before Shane texted her. She regretted agreeing to meet him. Even though she didn't compromise her relationship with Desmond, she was still left with a great deal of regret. She couldn't get his goodbye kiss out of her head but knew that all she wanted was Desmond. Maybe she needed time to let all of that sink in. He didn't push; he didn't beg, and he did what perhaps he knew he would do from the start, tell her goodbye and never convince her that he was the one for her.

She was glad to be alone as she unlocked the front door and walked inside. She missed Desmond. Dragging her feet upstairs, she plopped onto the bed and lay motionless. She closed her eyes for a solid minute when her phone dinged. She let out an exasperated breath and reached for her phone.

"Sleep well?"

Desmond. Whew.

"So so, what about you?" She couldn't tell him she slept well, nor could she say she slept awful.

"Same. I miss you." Gabby felt a smile stretch across her face at his words. Every problem disappears when he does that.

"Are you going to be able to meet us tonight for dinner?" Gabby wanted to take her parents out for dinner before they left to go home.

Desmond had forgotten. Being sleep deprived can cause that. He knew it was essential to be there.

"Yes, I am. I have some things to take care of at the hotel; then I will meet you." He sent the message and dressed to head to his new office at the hotel.

"Good morning, Desmond." Chantal greeted him with a smile, sipping a cup of coffee in the dining room.

"Good morning to you, Mom." He hugged her and sat down for a moment to talk with her. He had a few minutes before he had to leave.

"It was a nice party last night. I have received text messages already from the guests. They are looking forward to the wedding and the party afterward." She laughed.

"I am glad everyone enjoyed themselves. Gabby and I appreciate everything you did. I can't believe it's only eight weeks away." Desmond sipped his coffee and shook his head in disbelief.

"Des, about that. You aren't in any hurry to marry Gabby. You can take your time and have a long engagement." Chantal said gently.

"Mom, it looks like we are rushing in, but we aren't. This is right. I will love her whether it's eight weeks, eight months, or eight years. We are being smart and logical. As you can see by me, living at home again." Desmond laughed.

"That is true. I am proud of you both. Most young people these days, especially those like us, don't think twice about the emotions or repercussions of their actions. Thank you for treating Gabby with respect, as a woman deserves. She's lovely." Chantal went on.

"That she is. I better run. I will see you later this evening. We are having dinner with Gabby's parents before they fly out tomorrow." Desmond took a last sip of his coffee, sat the cup down, and put on his suit jacket.

"Be safe, son." She smiled.

As Desmond drove through the city, he thought about the discussion he had with Gabby about his mother speaking to Madeline's mother. With everything inside of him, he didn't want to see or talk to Madeline, but he knew he had to. She needed to be set straight. The world didn't revolve around her.

"Josse, hey. I need a favor." Desmond asked.

"What's up, bro? What can I do for you?" Josse replied, just arriving at the hotel and walking quickly through the lobby to his office.