Chapter 29: Same Place

"I need to leave my parents a note. I am not sure what to say. I can't come right out and say, Dear Mom and Dad, Shane and I are going on a trip. Be home soon." Gabby joked.

"I know. This will confuse them, and it won't be very easy. But you are a grown woman; you can come and go as you please. You can tell them you went to be alone, but you will be back Sunday evening. Tell them not to worry. You can reassure them that they can call or text you. You don't have to be specific; give them enough not to make them worry." Shane said.

"You're right. I will tell them that." Gabby began writing the note and left it on the kitchen table for them to see as they returned home.

Gabby had yet to think of Kacie and Layla. She was so wrapped up going away with Shane that she had forgotten about going to Lake Shady Cove.

"I walked here from my parent's house. I will walk back, and then you can meet me. You can park your car at my sister's house. You can park your car in her garage. She said she didn't mind." Shane said.

"I don't like all of this hiding. I probably should tell Mom and Dad the truth. They have been through their fair share of hurt. I don't want to make it worse." Gabby said as she looked over the note.

"Gab, we can tell them together. I need you. We deserve this time together. I promise when we come back, I will be here with you." Shane insisted as he took her hand.

"Okay. Thank you." Gabby said as she smiled at him gratefully.

Shane kissed her cheek and stood from the kitchen table to leave. Gabby went to her room, grabbed the bag sitting in the corner, and immediately thought of Kacie and Layla.

Oh no. The trip.

She knew she couldn't tell them she was going away with Shane for the weekend instead of going with them. She couldn't think of that now. She knew by not telling them; they would be hurt and furious at her, not to mention worried. This was more complicated than she thought it would be. If Shane had just returned to Sparksville apologizing, this would all be different. But it wasn't that way. Gabby went to New Orleans, met Desmond, and developed feelings for him. Desmond was a real man, not a figment of her imagination. But Desmond was so far away from her now. He was getting further and further away as every second passed. It was time for her to move on with her life and give Shane a second chance. Everyone deserves a second chance.

She picked up her bag and threw it in her trunk. She pulled out of her driveway and drove ten minutes to Shane's sister's house. Cheyenne was his older sister. She was married with a son. She and her husband, Jake, were on vacation. That was why Gabby could park in their garage for the weekend. The last thing she needed was someone to see her vehicle parked somewhere in town and get worried. She didn't need a search party called out on her.

Not long after she parked her car, Shane pulled up and parked. She quickly got inside his truck, and they took off.

"Where do you wanna go?" Gabby asked, looking out the window.

"I was thinking of the Lake." Shane smiled, looking over at her.

"Yeah, that sounds perfect," Gabby responded, remembering she was supposed to go there with Kacie and Layla.

They'll understand.

"I was hoping you'd say that. I brought my tent and camping gear just in case you said yes." Shane grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly but didn't let go.

"That is one thing that hasn't changed about you. You were always good at doin' things on a whim." Gabby laughed.

"That's the best way of doin' things. Remember when we used to do crazy stuff like this?" Shane reminisced.