Chapter 44: At Last

The wedding day was finally here. The sun was shining, and the morning air was cool and crisp. Gabby opened her eyes and stretched in bed. She turned to look out the window as the sun poured in. She glanced at her phone to see it was already eight o'clock. The wedding was set for the evening at ll Mercato. When she visited the venue, she instantly fell in love. It was perfect. Everything was ready and in place. Incidentally, she wasn't as nervous as she thought she would be. Her parents had flown down a few days before and were staying at the hotel. She was wondering what Desmond was doing or if he was still asleep. She thought about texting him but wasn't sure when he had gone to sleep. Walking downstairs, she saw evidence that he had been there the night before. The wine glasses are still on the island, along with the empty bottle. She made coffee in the French press and entered Desmond's office.

He was here last night.

Paperwork was stacked on the desk. Everything was neat and in place. He had a photo of Gabby off to the right side of the desk. She could feel him there, and his smell lingered within the room. It was as if he were still in the house somewhere. She walked throughout the home, in and out of the rooms, carrying her hot coffee and sipping intermittently. Upstairs, she entered the guest bathroom where he had just last night. His towel hung neatly on the towel rack, still damp from his shower. All of his items were lined up in an orderly. She missed him.

As she walked from the bathroom, her phone dinged.

Please let it be Desmond.

She picked up her phone and saw it was Kacie. Her text suggested she was awake and ready to go.

"Get yourself up and meet us for coffee. Don't drink that French press stuff. You are going to need an espresso today. Scratch that. You are going to need MANY espressos today."

Gabby snickered and texted back quickly.

"Be right there." She put her phone down and put on a hoodie and leggings. She drove Desmond's BMW to meet Kacie and Layla for coffee. They discussed the wedding and the honeymoon with excitement.

"I can't believe you're going to Bora Bora tomorrow! So lucky!" Kacie exclaimed.

"I know! I am obsessed with that place. I have always wanted to go there." Gabby responded, equally as excited.

"Are you nervous, Gab? You haven't mentioned anything." Layla asked, sipping her latte.

You all do know who I am marrying, right?" Gabby laughed.

"We will take that as a no." Kacie laughed.

"Exactly." Gabby nodded.

The girls chatted for a bit longer. Gabby looked at her phone and saw that it was almost ten o'clock. Desmond had yet to call or text, so she contacted him. Once she was in the car, she called.

"Good morning, handsome." She said sweetly.

"There she is." He responded, happy to hear her voice.

"Sorry, I have been with the girls having coffee; I was going to call sooner.

"No worries. Did you sleep okay?" He asked as he sat outside his parent's house in the courtyard.

"I did. How about you?" She asked, making her way to his house.

"I did. How are you feeling? Today is the day. We are finally here." Desmond smiled.

"I'm better than better. I can't wait to see you." She smiled, feeling giddy.

"I'll be waiting." Those three words were all she longed to hear from him.

"You better." She said jokingly.