Chapter 37: Accommodations

"I'm glad I only had one bottle of wine in the house. I believe the interior decorator gave it to me as a housewarming gift. I think." Desmond laughed as he sipped the last of his wine and sat the glass down.

"Looks and tastes expensive-not that I am an authority on wine or anything, I'm just sayin'." Gabby laughed with Desmond in unison.

They laughed and enjoyed the night out of the pool but still sat outside. Now that they were engaged, they felt older somehow. It must have been a natural feeling when a couple goes from just dating to making a decision that ultimately leads to the most important one of their lives. Gabby changed into a pair of black cotton lounge shorts and a white tank top, while Desmond was in a pair of gray shorts and a blue T-shirt. They sat side by side with their lounge chairs pushed together, looking up at the sky and feeling the effects of the bottle of wine they shared.

"So, what's next?" Gabby asked, putting her head on his shoulder.

"We need to sleep sometime." Desmond joked, yawning.

"Not that, silly. I mean, what's the next step for us? I feel like we have so much to do." Gabby asked again, sitting up to look at him as he lay back on the chair.

"Well, we need to set a date and go from there. Don't worry; it will all be taken care of. Just enjoy the process, baby. It's all just tradition. All I need from you is to meet me at the altar." He leaned up and kissed her and then lay back again.

"Okay. I feel so restless. I want everything to be perfect." Gabby smiled, looking at him lovingly.

"Then it will. It will be like you, perfect." Desmond brushed his hand on her cheek, pulling her loose hair back.

"What are we going to do about me moving down here?" Gabby asked.

"Oh yes. We have to think of accommodations." Desmond responded, not worried about her question.

"I can get an apartment nearby." Gabby shrugged.

"You could." Desmond nodded.

"Yeah, I could." Gabby agreed.

"Or you could live here." Desmond grinned.

Oh no. Don't tell me that.

"Okay? But we decided that wasn't what would be best." Gabby asked, confused.

"I never said I was going to live here. You will live here, and I will stay at my parent's house until we get married. You are my fiancee now; you belong in this house. It's yours now. I don't need vows to tell me that." Desmond was more than she could handle.

"Are you bein' for real with me right now? You want me to live here? " Gabby was not expecting that.

"Absolutely. It won't be forever. Consider this your house now." Desmond smiled, watching her face light up.

This is our home.

"I hate being here alone at night. Can you stay with me until I go to sleep?" She asked.

"Of course." He kissed her.

Desmond sat up and took her hands. He looked down and then back to her again.

"I need to talk to you about something." He began.

Oh no. This sounds serious.

"Before I flew to Lake Shady Cove, I saw my family. They gave me some news that I thought you should know about. It will change everything." Desmond continued.

Gabby sat there, watching his expression, searching his eyes.

"After we get married, I am getting a new job." He said with a slight smile.