-PROLOGUE

"Idealism sits in prison, chivalry fell on its swordInnocence died screaming, honey, ask me I should know"-hozier

Innocence died screaming, honey, ask me I should know"
-hozier

Eden had always known about soulmates. In the Wizarding World and supernatural community, they were fairly common and easy to come by.

Nearly everyone had one, and it was rare if you didn't.

Unless you were Voldemort.

Eden didn't think he had a soulmate.

Maybe his pet snake, but that was only a theory she and her best friend, Ron, thought of in sixth year. It was never confirmed.

Then again, Nagini was a Horcrux and therefore a piece of Voldemort's soul — could a person be soulmates with themselves? Maybe there was an exception for him.

If not, she pitied whoever's soul was tied to his.

And simultaneously hoped she'd never meet them.

In any case, she knew plenty of people with soulmates. No one knew theirs until they were at least seventeen, when the binding on their magic was lifted and they were able to feel full effects.

In some instances, where a creature — a werewolf, veela, and even more rarely, vampire — had a witch or wizard soulmate, they were able to feel effects at a younger age, but that typically didn't happen.

Eden had many friends who had all discovered their soulmates, though some of them were still searching, like her, but the war changed a lot of that.

Essentially, when a soulmate dies, you're able to feel it. Even if you're not "bonded" — which is the technical term for "having met and done the deed" — the connection is still prominent.

It still existed, like a thread of string that tied two people to one another for eternity, in this life, the past, and the next.

After the war, there were a few people felt the string sever, without having knowledge of their soulmate. They hadn't even met their soulmates and felt like a part of them died.

Eden considered herself lucky to not be looking through rubble and ministry-posted lists of the dead in hopes of finding their other half.

At least hers was still out there.

She hoped, at least.

On occasion, people were born without a soulmate. It was less rare than creature/wizard soulmate, but still uncommon.

Eden turned seventeen during the war — which was the age witches and wizards were unbound from the Ministry trace and allowed to feel the full extent of their magic — but she hadn't felt any different.

She probably didn't have a soulmate, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise.

"Heading out?"

Eden blinked from her stupor, moving her head from her hand.