- THIRTY-FIVE

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of suicide & self-harming tendencies, also depression. and memory loss.

"let us know if you remember anything"

EDEN spent three weeks in the hospital, regaining her strength and trying not to flinch at loud noises.

She napped often and ate copious amounts of pudding cups — she was so happy Hermione convinced St. Mungo's to add them to the patients' menu — but each time she awoke, she forgot where she was.

Elijah and Niklaus had traded off in sleeping in her room, and there had been a couple nights where they'd both fallen asleep in there.

Harry visited every day, Ginny and George visited four times, and Teddy had come twice a week with Harry.

Malfoy hadn't returned since her first day there, but Hermione came in his place.

Apparently, they were soulmates.

And sort of dating.

It was very confusing, and Eden felt incredibly out of the loop.

Eden was given her phone back, which had fallen from her pocket when Dolohov grabbed her. Elijah explained the majority of conversations that he'd been privy to, but he didn't know all of them.

Inside jokes she didn't understand anymore.

Scrolling through messages on her phone and looking at pictures of witty banter between herself and people she hated...it felt like reading a stranger's personal moments. Precious memories that had slipped away like sands from an hourglass.

Eden supposed her entire life was like that.

Guided by the hands of fate — as both Elijah and Nik's other half — with a prewritten destiny to save the world. She lacked a prophecy like her brother, but she bore the same scars, bled the same color, and lost the same childhood.

And as each day passed, her life became less and less her own. The sand left the device that tracked her life, cutting into her skin and forcing her life into something else entirely.

There were no choices left for Eden to make that were entirely her own.

Eden chose to love Fred, and now she couldn't even remember his death.

Eden chose to move to Mystic Falls, but she didn't remember the war ending.

Eden chose to be friends with Draco Malfoy, but when she thought of him, she only pictured her childhood bully.

She'd nearly broken her phone, thrown it across the room in a furious cry, but Nik caught it before it crashed against the wall. She kicked him from the room for taking the choice from her, for not allowing her to dismiss the girl they all remembered, the person she couldn't be.