- FORTY

TRIGGER WARNING: this is so much fluff i want to puke
oh, and unhealthy relationships near the end...oops?

"you should call draco"

"OUR mother was a witch," Elijah explained to Eden, sitting next to her with one hand in her hair in the hotel room on the bed.

Nik was fiddling with his phone, head resting on her lap, her hands running through his curls.

"An ancestral witch?" Eden questioned, and Niklaus nodded in confirmation.

"She's the one who cursed me," he informed her. "And cursed us all, really. Our parents were terrified of losing us after our little brother died."

"Henrik," Eden replied, the name slipping out before she could stop it. "I remember that name."

A beat of silence fell over the trio before Elijah spoke again. "Yes," he confirmed. "And after losing Henrik, they were terrified to lose us. Mother created the curse to grant us immortality."

"Ancestral magic is passed down," Eden recalled from lessons in Care of Magical Creatures. "Did any of you have magic?"

"Kol," they said together, exchanging a look.

"He loved it," Nik added. "He was devastated when vampirism took it from him. And he's a ripper, like Stefan. His rage is...brutal."

"That's sad," Eden sympathized. "I can't imagine losing my magic, especially if I'd known it my entire life."

Elijah brushed a tendril of hair behind her ear. "Kol will enjoy your company, I think," he commented. "He's very...humorous. The closest would be George and Draco in the same body."

Eden tried to picture the combination but without the missing pieces of the past year and her supposed friendship with Draco, she couldn't put it together completely.

"Interesting," she responded, and Nik pressed a kiss to her palm. "Do you guys think Stefan and Bekah are eh-eh-eh-eh," she made creaking noises with her mouth like a bed and they both grimaced.

"Stop it," Nik groaned. "I don't need — stop it."

"We've caught Rebekah enough with former suitors that we're scarred enough without additional imagery," Elijah added. "Especially not with Stefan."

"I'm glad he's happy," Eden sighed softly. "It was hard watching him pine after Elena."

"Well, she's dead now," Nik shrugged, closing his eyes. "Now he can be happy with our sister and all's well."