-NINE

"I can't even go to a picnic anymore without you all getting into trouble

"I can't even go to a picnic anymore without you all getting into trouble."

"I can't believe Tyler Lockwood is a werewolf," Jeremy shook his head, arms crossed, leaning against the doorframe of the bathroom. Elena stood in front of the mirror, washing her hands as Eden entered the bathroom.

"Morning, spawns of Miranda," Eden greeted with a yawn, reaching past Elena and grabbing her toothbrush and toothpaste.

She hadn't slept well the night before. Meeting Mason and discussing werewolves had brought up uncomfortable memories of Remus Lupin, and she found herself dreaming instead of the final battle and sobbing next to his deceased body, the aftermath of his death, Harry's death, and then Fred's and -- it had been a rough night.

She'd spent the majority of it in Jenna's car speaking to Harry on the phone so as not to wake her sister.

"Hey, Eden," Jeremy smiled, nodding at her.

"Morning," Elena greeted, before glancing in the mirror to Jeremy. "We're not sure about that yet. The only thing we know for sure is that Mason Lockwood is."

"Tyler's not a wolf," Eden said immediately, putting the toothbrush in her mouth. "He feels human, just a pinch of weird, but not like Mason."

"Because we should always rely on your senses," Elena snarked, applying a nude lipstick.

"It should be enough easy for us to figure it out," Jeremy cut in, trying to stop the impending argument as Eden brushed her teeth.

"There is no us," Elena said firmly and Eden raised an eyebrow. "I said that I wouldn't keep things from you anymore. That doesn't mean that I want you involved in it."

Eden nodded at the idea, she didn't hate it, but Jeremy was old enough to make his own decisions. If Elena wanted to play the martyr, Jeremy should have the option as well.

Jeremy chuckled, shifting the backpack on his shoulder and taking a step towards the pair. "By definition of being in this family, I'm involved." He held up his Gilbert ring to prove the point.

Eden nodded, spitting and cleaning her toothbrush. "It's true. I'm a witch, you're dating a vampire, two of his ex-girlfriends are vampires, your birth mother is a vampire, and your adopted father, his uncle and my brother-in-law is a vampire hunter. He's kind of born into this thing, Elena."

"You don't get to say what he's born into," Elena snapped at Eden. "You're hardly part of this family."

Eden frowned at the cruel words and Jeremy nudged his sister gently. "Elena, that's rude. Eden is family, she wasn't around as a kid because she was in school. She's here now, that's what's important."